RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » I want to be a Locomotive Engineer

Author Topic: I want to be a Locomotive Engineer
Fritch
Member # 908

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fritch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 24 years old and I've found my calling. Well, I had it since I was born. Life is about risks. And I'm gonna take this one before I get any older. What do I do to achieve this? I know about the hours and conditions. I know I have to start from the bottom. I just want to get my foot in the door (preferably UP or BNSF). Would specific education be a plus? What about that Modoc Railroad Academy? Would it be better to go with a railroad's training (if any)? Should I just apply on their websites and send resumes then cross my fingers? Is it a secure job? I heard alot of talk about layoffs and the like. Can anyone steer my in the right direction? Any websites specific to my questions? I'm a newbie to this area but I've had the desire ALL of my life.
Thanks for any info,
Manny

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Manny,
I'm 15, and I'm going to be a locomotive engineer also. My interests are with Amtrak, but I suppose the training is similar to freight carriers.
I haven't found much info on this topic on the Internet, but your best bets might be the BNSF/UP homepages.
You should also get in touch with a local railroad office. I picked up a small booklet titled "BNSF Employee Orientation Guide" from my local depot last year. It discusses many items.
Also, get to know some engineers, firemen, etc. They'll tell you a lot of info about the job.
I hope some of this helps!
Good luck, and maybe we'll meet on the rails!
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie McCandless
Member # 939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie McCandless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manny,

Don't forget the shortlines. You may be able to get more of a family life. If you go to the mainline you better stay single.

Posts: 13 | From: pueblo, co. usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BCAmtrak1
Member # 148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCAmtrak1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,
I want to be a locomotive engineer for Amtrak California, I have found the BNSF website to be beneficial to me so I can review the rules on the BNSF and also the Amtrak rules. Look at BNSF.com/employees and look up the rule books (General Code of Operating Rules and the Amtrak rules found at Railfans.com and clicking on the GCOR-General Code Of Operating Rules

Posts: 20 | From: Manteca CA< USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page