RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Experience connecting from Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited?

Author Topic: Experience connecting from Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited?
mccrum
Member # 1067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mccrum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've rashly bought tickets connecting from the Coast Starlight (#11) to eastbound Sunset Limited (#2) at LAX. If both trains were on time, there would be an hour and 15 minutes to make the connection.

What happens when #11 runs too late to make the connection? Do they hold #2, or run a bus to catch #2, or what? Any experiences on this score would be appreciated.

Also, any stats on recent performance of this connection would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you made a very poor decision. I don't know the statistics, but I would guess that the Coast Starlight is a couple of hours late more often than it is on time.

they will not hold the Sunset Limited. Usually what happens is this: All passengers on the Coast Starlight that are planning to tranfer to the Sunset Limited are taken off the train somewhere up north, sometimes as far as Emeryville (San Francisco), then they are taken on a very long bus ride and meet the Sunset Limited somewhere around San Bernadino.

If this happens to you, be sure to complain to Amtrak customer service. I think this is an extremely rude way for Amtrak to treat passengers. They should always be given the chance to stay overnight (paid by Amtrak) and take the next train.

These long bus rides are one of the main reasons why I hope to see Amtrak out of business and gone soon. Even though I am a railroad fan, any company that treats its customers this bad does not deserve to be in business. Amtrak should at least warn customers in advance that they routinely do this.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Konstantin:
they will not hold the Sunset Limited. Usually what happens is this: All passengers on the Coast Starlight that are planning to tranfer to the Sunset Limited are taken off the train somewhere up north, sometimes as far as Emeryville (San Francisco), then they are taken on a very long bus ride and meet the Sunset Limited somewhere around San Bernadino.

I think this is an extremely rude way for Amtrak to treat passengers. They should always be given the chance to stay overnight (paid by Amtrak) and take the next train.

Konstantin,
I agree a bus ride is a terrible way for Amtrak to solve a train connection problem (and no doubt drives away customers every time it's used), but in this case I'm not sure Amtrak has any good alternatives. If a passenger misses the Sunday evening eastbound Sunset, they would have to stay (at Amtrak's expense) for three nights until the next train (two nights for Wed+Fri trains). Clearly thats not an option for even the least time-sensitive traveler (and then the passengers would really be complaining - why didn't Amtrak use a bus to "catch up" to the Sunset?). Amtrak just can't win.

Now, I don't understand why Amtrak would use a bus all the way from Emeryville to catch the Sunset. The Starlight could be up to six hours late at Martinez and still permit those Sunset passengers to take the San Joaquin to Bakersfield, then a (much shorter) bus connection (but a regularly scheduled one) to Los Angeles and still arrive before the Sunset Limited departs! Admittedly, that suggestion won't work for anyone boarding train 11 south of Oakland.

mccrum,
I don't know if that last suggestion will help your case. I'm not really familiar with these two trains. The best advice I can give is to monitor the Starlight's timeliness before you board to help judge what you might be facing at L.A.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mccrum
Member # 1067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mccrum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your comments. I've switched to the San Joaquin.

[This message has been edited by mccrum (edited 09-29-2001).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DC2001:

There are several ways that this problem could be solved, and in my opinion, better ways than taking a bus.

First, Amtrak should not portray their schedules as if they really exist. Their schedules are a farce. Amtrak should not lie to their customers. They should be up front with them from the very beginning and tell the truth in their schedules that they are only basic times, and most trains are much later than the schedules suggest. They should also spell out very clearly in their schedules and vacation planners exactly what they plan to do to passengers on trains that are late. The passengers deserve to know ahead of time what the possibilities are.

One possibility is that Amtrak should not take any reservations that assume the two trains will connect. If they do, the people who make the reservations should be told exactly what happens if they miss their connection. Also, Amtrak could fly the people from Los Angeles to possibly Tucson to catch the Sunset Limited. The scenery on the Coast Starlight from San Francisco to Los Angeles is about the best there is on any Amtrak route, and passengers should not be forced to miss it because of a late train. The passengers should be given some choices. Possibly taking the bus to catch the Sunset Limited, taking the plane to catch the Sunset Limited, or staying in a hotel in Los Angeles for the next Sunset Limited at Amtrak's expense, even if this means a few days.

Amtrak needs to realize that when their trains are late, it is their problem (maybe not their fault, but their problem) and it is not the passenger's problem.

I do agree that to be fair, Amtrak should have had a whole lot more funding. But I also see that Amtrak does not even attempt to provide quality service. Some Amtrak employees are very hard working, good people, but for the most part, some of the sorryest, laziest people I have ever met work for Amtrak. These people could care less if their customers are happy. I think it is time to quit wasting money on Amtrak and let them die.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit wasting WHAT money??? Oh... the $500 million it gets each year. What a waste.

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 10-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 10-01-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DC2001:

Amtrak should not portray their schedules as if they really exist. Their schedules are a farce. Amtrak should not lie to their customers. They should be up front with them from the very beginning and tell the truth in their schedules that they are only basic times, and most trains are much later than the schedules suggest.

Eliminate timetables altogether as such! Instead, substitute a "suggested itinerary", ie:

Train 11, The COST STARLIGHT, is scheduled to depart Seattle 9:45 AM daily (at least the departure time should be valid!), arriving Portland early afternoon, Klamath Falls late evening, Emeryville/Oakland the following morning, and Los Angeles late evening of the second day. Intermediate stops are made at...

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think you made a very poor decision. I don't know the statistics, but I would guess that the Coast Starlight is a couple of hours late more often than it is on time.

If this happens to you, be sure to complain to Amtrak customer service. I think this is an extremely rude way for Amtrak to treat passengers. They should always be given the chance to stay overnight (paid by Amtrak) and take the next train.

These long bus rides are one of the main reasons why I hope to see Amtrak out of business and gone soon. Even though I am a railroad fan, any company that treats its customers this bad does not deserve to be in business. Amtrak should at least warn customers in advance that they routinely do this.

As usual, Konstantin has his head up his b*tt, and he also doesn't know the facts. Passengers are not transferred to buses, but to the San Jaoquin to Bakersfield. From Bakersfield, a bus connection to Los Angeles (which is a regular part of the San Jaoquin route). This isn't a suggested way of handling the situation, it *is* the way Amtrak handles the situation.

Konstantin, why don't you just fly?

[This message has been edited by 20thCenturyLimited (edited 11-19-2001).]

Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
20thCenturyLimited:

I do not know what they usually do, but the last time I rode the southbound Coast Starlight, we were several hours late, and they did put the people on busses all the way from Emeryville. I think they were going to meet the Southwest Cheif in Kingman. In talking with the train attendants, they tell me that this is common. A few years ago when I rode the Coast Starlight, they bussed people from Simi Valley to meet the Southwest Chief in San Bernadino (I may have the stations a little wrong, but something similar to this)

As for the comment about why I don't fly: Most of the time I do fly, but I would rather take a train. Since Amtrak provides terrible customer service, I tend to stay away from it more often than not. When I travel with my wife, I take the train. When I travel with my children, we fly. Until Amtrak gets some better way of assigning seats, it is almost impossible to find six seats together to take my family. That is only one of the many examples of poor quality service.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am a supporter of passenger railroads. I just think that our country could do a much better job of providing passenger service than what Amtrak provides.

Your namesake train, the 20th Century Limited was a quality train. Amtrak's version of it, the Lake Shore Limited is a terrible train.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 11-20-2001).]

20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and Pullman Co. need to stop living in the past. As I said to Pullman Co., elsewhere, if you continue to use the AT&SF or the NYCentral trains as your standards, you will be dissappointed - perpetually. Live in reality. Also, you might try paying for a sleeper on one of your trips. If you do, you just may have a better trip than you have had in the past. Not that a coach trip shouldn't be pleasant but, once again, reality: a coach trip from New Mexico all the way to New York is rediculous - but your choice.

[This message has been edited by 20thCenturyLimited (edited 11-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 20thCenturyLimited (edited 11-20-2001).]

Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Konstantin:
[B]20thCenturyLimited:

A few years ago when I rode the Coast Starlight, they bussed people from Simi Valley to meet the Southwest Chief in San Bernadino (I may have the stations a little wrong, but something similar to this)
Hi, I travelled (southbound) on The Coast Starlight a few years back & because of a poor connection at LAX was bussed from Oxnard to San Bernadino to connect with The South West Chief. Mike, in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fubu05
Member # 465

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for fubu05   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, there are some connections to the Valley line trains from San Jose and Salinas.

At SLO, there are three Surfliner schedules that are buses to Santa Barbara then trains to LAX and beyond. Paso, there's one Surfline connection and one San Joaquin Connection, both of which arrive Los Angeles pretty close to eachother.

------------------
Peter Van Warnerski

Posts: 60 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the routine lateness (usually thanks to UP) of both the Coast Starlight and Sunset Limited, I would not rely on a connection in either direction.

The first time I attempted to make the westbound connection in 1993 while traveling from New Orleans to Sacramento, the Sunset was 7 hours late. This was too late even to connect with the last San Joaquin of the day. Depending on eventual destination, connecting passengers were routed north on two or three buses on different routes. Though treated to the "stunning" scenery of the Central Valley instead of the central coast in a cramped bus seat, I actually reached Sacramento little later than if on the scheduled Coast Starlight.

The next time I headed west a few years later, this time on the Southwest Chief, I scheduled two nights in San Diego, before heading north on the Coast Starlight via an on-time connection on a then San Diegan.

If making the connection from the north, I'd recommend leaving the Coast Starlight at Santa Barbara, spending a night or two, then continuing on a Pacific Surfliner for an on-time connection to the Sunset. There are a number of hotels and motels in Santa Barbara within easy walking distance of the station. Outside of summer weekends, finding a room shouldn't be too difficult.

What's often overlooked, is that Amtrak as are the airlines are transportation companies. The contract of carriage specifies that the passenger will be provided transportation to the destination. It does not specify by what means or guarantee timeliness, though both are obviously important for return business. Amtrak would prefer that passengers reach their destinations by rail and as close to on-time as possible. When that fails, Amtrak is willing to use other means to try to keep passengers on schedule. Unfortunately, that sometimes means bus transportation.

Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page