RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » santa fe paint scheme

Author Topic: santa fe paint scheme
sfezebras
Member # 420

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sfezebras     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im a big fan of santa fe's zebra paint scheme. My question is how did they paint this scheme? Did they have big templates so they didnt have to measure each stripe and just move the template every so often?
Posts: 14 | From: newton kansas usa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have first-hand knowledge of what they did back then. Detail painting, in today's environs, is done by stencil and masking. Then the entire color is sprayed.
As posted on another board, the zebra stripes apparently were offered by the manufacturer, not a custom paint by SFe.

Posts: 20 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnychooch
Member # 187

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnychooch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submit for your parousal the website address for the Santa Fe Railway and Historical and Modeling Society. It may be of use when such questions arise.
www.atsfrr.com

They also have a fine publication called The Warbonnet.

John

Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page