RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Virginia & Truckee: Rebuilding The Legend

Author Topic: Virginia & Truckee: Rebuilding The Legend
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this website which says that this foundation is trying to rebuild the original V&T line, as a tourist exursion railroad.

Myabe you have all seen this before, or maybe not. I just thought I would drop the address in case anyone was interested. I would also love to read any feedback/opinions you have about the project

Here is the address

http://www.steamtrain.org/

Thanks

Posts: 62 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stonewall,

I rode on the V&T about ten years ago, and at that time the line extended to from Virgina City to Gold Hill. The grade beyond that point is still clearly visible, so it would probably be possible to extend the line further without too much difficulty (as far as actual construction goes). Raising the money is another matter.

I had thought the State of Nevada had looked at issuing bonds for this, but I don't know if it ever got on the ballot or what the voters' opinions were.

It appears that that part of Nevada is not going through the rapid growth that Las vegas is, so it would probably be easier to get the rights to build the line again without impacting too much development.

For what it's worth, you can also see some of the old grade in the hills adjacent to US 395 south of Carson City, but that area does have new development/golf courses.

MPalmer

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPALMER..

Thanks for the reply..

I have always been fascinated by the history of the V&T and would very much like to see the original line back in operation over as much of the original grade as possibile.

Hopefully more people will learn about this and take some interest.

Stonewall

Posts: 62 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 3 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stonewall,

The best way for you to do that is for you to invest in the V&T. Resetting the roadbed and rebuilding the line is an expensive proposition, they can use your millions.

quote:
Originally posted by StonewallJones:
MPALMER..

{snip}... and would very much like to see the original line back in operation over as much of the original grade as possibile.

Stonewall

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by StonewallJones (edited 06-30-2002).]

StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had those supposed millions I believe that quite a bit of it would be going to paying of school loans and such.

I do hope that the V&T gets more exposure and who knows maybe some big time rollers will invest in the company.

------------------
History and War

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page