RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Fastest freight in America

Author Topic: Fastest freight in America
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Feb. 2003 issue of TRAINS has a 12 page story about BNSF and CSX working together for a 65 hour freight schedule between LA and North Bergen, NJ.
There is a "play-by-play" analysis that will
ring true to all who have "been there-done
that". This revenue producing operation was
actually acomplished in 60 Hrs 52 Min.
Those who are interested in the absolute advantage rail freight can assert over trucks and highways if ancient obstacles and practices are discarded or modified will love this story about what modern Railroads can do.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRChina,

Yes it is an interesting article. I had never thought of how a "faster than most" freight would mess up the schedules of all the other trains, and had not really noted that the old Santa Fe had long two track 'one-way' segments.
The part about Chicago-area IHB not being engaged in the time-saving aspect...I would think they would be a key player even for the short segmant they used!

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My take on the Indiana Harbor Belt was that they were only required to provide the track.
BNSF crews got off and CSX crews got on at the IHB 71st yard office with only a six minute stop. Also, apparently the IHB cleared the track as the whole transit time through the Chicago "complex" was 2 hours and I interpret that "complex" as beginning at Mc Cook on BNSF and ending at Dolton on
CSX. Those of us who are familiar with Chicago's railroad complexities, will understand that 2 hours is very good; and that there had to be great cooperation so that the many RR crossings were clear for this operation.
Again I say that when railroads wish to do away with ancient " I was here first so your
trains must wait for mine" they can compete with trucks both in cost and time.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page