RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Norfolk Southern on the point!

Author Topic: Norfolk Southern on the point!
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I happened to be awake to hear what I thought was an Amtrak horn. It was much too early for the #3 Southwest Chief (right before Fullerton) so I turned on my scanner to see if I could find out what it was.

After a while a BNSF maintenence crew in the area radioed to the NS 95. I'm not too sure about the number but it was 90 something. I didn't understand what NS was, as I've never heard that used before. But then, as he gave speed restriction info, he said Norfolk Southern. I then knew what horn I had heard earlier. It was a Norfolk Southern engine on the point of some freight. I know that they use a horn similar to Amtrak, and it certainly fooled me.

I hope someone out there got a picture of this train as I have never ever seen a train, in the area, being lead by a foreign roads engine.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed a bit of an increase in foreign engines in recent months. I've seen some CSX engines out here on BNSF too, although they're a lot more common on UP. CSX uses an Amtrak-like horn also. A couple of months ago, I saw a consist with a CSX on the point and NS and Conrail engines trailing.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Jansson
Member # 1388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jansson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week I saw a westbound through La Mirada with 7 or 8 units which included a CSX, NS, ex-Conrail and a BN white-face. The other units were all BNSF Heritage II. It would've really been all the colors of the rainbow had there been a Warbonnet in the mix.
Posts: 26 | From: La Mirada, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the goings-on out west; but here in the central part of the world, (Missouri), I've seen several roadnames on UP coal trains, the first few times, they are completely intact, but as soon as the guys get a chance, they go into the shop and either get re-painted, or get the old name covered up, and UP logos all around.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey SW Chief!
I've done the very same thing! I recently heard an Amtrak-sounding horn at about 2:30P (way too early for Train 3, and very late for Train 4), so I jumped in my truck, and drove to trackside to witness three NS units fly by with a double stack. It's much easier to recognize an Amtrak horn in BNSF country!
I saw a BNSF freight about a week ago with a mix of Pumpkins and Flags (new UP scheme) up front, and a BNSF and a UP unit in DPU service on the rear.
Over the years I've also seen CSX, NS, UP, ex-Conrail, Montana Rail Link a few times, and some ex-C&NWs through FLG.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this train coming IN thru Santa Ana Cyn about a week ago. There were 3 units on the point. It was a nice suprise on my part, I was driving and couldn't get a piccie. What was funny...I had one of our mechanics and the yard K9(got that around the stupid censor!) ..we're squished into a pickup truck, we're approaching the 71 from the 91E and I was floored and Im like "Norfolk Southern!! Look!!!" I think I freaked out the mechanic! HAHA!

quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
This morning I happened to be awake to hear what I thought was an Amtrak horn. It was much too early for the #3 Southwest Chief (right before Fullerton) so I turned on my scanner to see if I could find out what it was.

After a while a BNSF maintenence crew in the area radioed to the NS 95. I'm not too sure about the number but it was 90 something. I didn't understand what NS was, as I've never heard that used before. But then, as he gave speed restriction info, he said Norfolk Southern. I then knew what horn I had heard earlier. It was a Norfolk Southern engine on the point of some freight. I know that they use a horn similar to Amtrak, and it certainly fooled me.

I hope someone out there got a picture of this train as I have never ever seen a train, in the area, being lead by a foreign roads engine.

[This message has been edited by coach34135 (edited 01-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by coach34135 (edited 01-17-2003).]

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the more exotic foreign units I've seen on BNSF over the years include KCS, Illinois Central, CN, and CP. I've seen Montana Rail Link too, but never west of Barstow. NS and CSX units are becoming almost commonplace. I wonder if BNSF units show up that much back east?
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about an Alaska RR geep heading EB in Barstow yard? Does that qualify as exotic?
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Definitely. I've heard that Alaska leased some of their SD70MACs to BNSF during their off-season. I wonder if they're still here. I suppose they're all on Powder River trains and probably wouldn't make it out here.
Douglas
Member # 1830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a mid day freight leaving San Diego daily and it has a combine of both
BN and War Bonnet liveries on the mix of engines. The Santa Fe colors sure look good to me.

Doug Vernon
San Diego

Posts: 21 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the great responses. I have a follow up question.

Are Norfolk Southern units and engineers equiped to handle BNSF style signal systems? I guess they are as NS lead BNSF area trains are ever increasing. And conversely, has anyone seen NS area trains lead by BNSF units out there?

I just wonder if a merger is out there in the future. Probably not for a while though as mergers aren't supported as much as they used to be. But if there is it looks like BNSF+NS and UP+CSX.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW Chief,
I don't know if this directly answers your second question, but I was told that NS owes BNSF "horsepower hours", and that's why all the foreign units are showing up. I was also told that BNSF units ARE heading East, although I fail to see the economics of this situation!

On a side note, I also saw (and photographed) a Conrail/NS/BN consist yesterday, and saw a CN unit tucked in behind some BNSF power.

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-27-2003).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I don't think there are any mergers on the horizon. BNSF and NS operate several "joint" trains, meaning that BNSF hauls the train on part of the journey, and NS handles the train on the other part. To make the transfer go more quickly, often the railroad will leave their engines on the train. This sometimes makes for the odd situation of an NS engine coming in of a train in, say, Kansas City, and getting put on a westbound BNSF train for LA.

For the most part, railroads can interchange locomotives and run each others locomotives on the point without a problem. NS's DASH 9's are pretty much the same as BNSF's, except that they have standard controls as opposed to the more modern desktop. The only time this might not work is if one railroad had a cab signaling system (Conrail once did), which would require a locomotive with cab signals to be on the point. However, a locomotive with cab signals can run in territory without cab signals, and I used to see Conrail engines on the point of Santa Fe trains every now and then.

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by atsf3751:
This sometimes makes for the odd situation of an NS engine coming in of a train in, say, Kansas City, and getting put on a westbound BNSF train for LA.

Someone else has noticed this as well?WHEW!! I thought I was going nuts.
I've seen more NP, SP, KCS, and various contracted units pulling UP's consist lately than UP's own units. but I'm just north of Belton and Grandview, so they must be using them on the road as well.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page