RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Narrow Gauge in SoCal

Author Topic: Narrow Gauge in SoCal
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me about the narrow gauge we spotted under the 8 frwy in the almost southernmost part of SoCal?

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably saw the remains of the old SD&AE. It was standard gauge, not narrow. Never rebuilt after a storm back a few years.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the mid 70's there was a narrow gauge further east near Plaster City, but I'm not sure if the I-8 passes over it. That narrow gauge hauls loads from a US Gypsum mine; at Plaster City it is transloaded to standard guage cars. I know it kept running into the 80s but don't know if it's still in operation.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
In the mid 70's there was a narrow gauge further east near Plaster City, but I'm not sure if the I-8 passes over it. That narrow gauge hauls loads from a US Gypsum mine; at Plaster City it is transloaded to standard guage cars. I know it kept running into the 80s but don't know if it's still in operation.

That's the one I think it was. It was certainly a narrow gauge, and crossed under the 8 (we went to yuma and back in one day!)
and then we spotted it again giong out towards plaster city.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The narrow gauge US Gypsum line heads out of Plaster City away from I-8 and still operates. I-8 crosses over the SD&AE line in two places, west of Plaster City near Ocotillo (then shortly later heading west the tracks cross on a overpass) and near Jacumba.
Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep wishing this thread was captioned n.g. in Imperial Valleyinstead of in So.Cal., as I keep expecting the discussion to be broader under its existing title, i.e. other So.Cal. narrow gauge lines, e.g.
(1) Santa Ana, Fairview & Pacific
(2) fact that eventual SFe loop through So.Cal. was originally proposed as independent n.g. line.
(3) etc.
I know, I just have to get over it:<).

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page