RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Unusual Auto Carriers on BNSF?

Author Topic: Unusual Auto Carriers on BNSF?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Encinitas, California, near San Diego along BNSF's rail line recently. I noticed some unusual cars on freight trains there. They were the same types of cars seen on the BNSF in Flagstaff, Arizona about a month ago. They appeared to be auto carriers. They had two rows of square "windows" on them. The most recognizable feature was that they were articulated. Each car had three trucks with two sections that could bend.

I have not seen these types of cars on the Union Pacific in Phoenix where I live. Am I correct that these are auto carriers? Did BNSF recently purchase these cars? Do other railroads use them?

Thank you

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this thread...
http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000315.html

Posts: 20 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstatin
Guess it's the 1st time you seen them. They're know as Auto-Maxes. Been around a couple of years now. Current RRs & reporting marks include BNSF, KCS, Ferromex, CRLE, COE & AOK. The 1st 3 have the RR logos on them while the last 3 have have big red Auto-Max lettering on them. They can be set up as bi-levels or tri-levels so can carry about any vehicle. Athearn makes all except the Ferromex, but Oddball does the decals for all of them. They retail for $50 a pop but cheaper on ebay & discount hobby shops. They sure look nice snaking around the layout!

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. Those must have been the Automaxs. I had not heard of, nor seen them before. I think model Automaxs would look nice on a layout, a bit unusual with the articulation.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you saw the same autorack train we saw going up the Cajon couple days ago! Was it ALL auto and like one box at the end?

Those are the latest & greatest in auto transport technology. From a distance they could look like passenger cars!

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach
Funny you should mention looking like passenger trains. One of the guys in our club wants to make some to run on On3!

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cajon:
Coach
Funny you should mention looking like passenger trains. One of the guys in our club wants to make some to run on On3!

That would be interesting!

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was not a box car at the end. Too bad, that would have been a nice coincedence.

It is funny that you should mention those cars looking like passenger cars. A non-railroading friend of mine first saw them in Flagstaff. Afterwards, he asked me if Santa Fe was running passenger trains again.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page