RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Railfanning In Cajon Pass

Author Topic: Railfanning In Cajon Pass
jdchamberlain
Member # 2062

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdchamberlain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 1/2 day before picking up visitors at Ontario Airport. I have a scanner and would like to watch and listen to trains in the Cajon Pass. Can anyone tell advise me on a good location and how to get there?

Thanks in advance from the San Diego County Coast Watcher

Posts: 4 | From: Vista, CA,USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Cajon Pass site: http://spazioinwind.libero.it/cajon/
Basically stick to paved roads & avoid dirt roads w/ "Area Closed" signs. These are posted by Forest Service because of fires last year. So you shouldn't go to places like Hill 58 or the Silverwood Connector. Check out the maps in their web site.

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdchamberlain
Member # 2062

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdchamberlain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cajon,

I tried your website but it would not connect. Could you check your reference to see if it is accurate? Thanks, John

Posts: 4 | From: Vista, CA,USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdchamberlain
Member # 2062

Rate Member
Cajon,

Disregard my last post. I typed in the address and it works just fine. Thanks, John

Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A favorite place I like is "Blue Cut." When you go up the 15 from Ontario, get off at Kenwood (the "old route 66") exit just after passing the 15/215 interchange. Follow the road to a large picnic area under a bunch of cottonwood trees. You can't see the tracks real well from the picnic area, but just down from the picnic area about 100 yards or so is a stone wall with room to park where you look accross a small canyon at a bridge where the trains cross a tributary to Cajon creek.
Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page