RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » UP Sunset Route - El Paso to Tucson

Author Topic: UP Sunset Route - El Paso to Tucson
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
)n 12-6 I drove I-10 between these points and saw many, many freight trains backed up
waiting to have the DS clear them for movement. There was apparently no derailment as trains were continuing to move but it seemed to this observer that UP had more trains operating than this single track railroad could handle efficiently, at least on this one occasion.
Does anyone have additional info about this,
like:
1. was this a one day problem?
2. are they planning to double track?
3. does the UPS business they recently acquired travel this route?

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I travelled on that route, they were lengthening at least one of the sidings, to something like 6 miles. There may have been others too. I know that that route is quite congested, hence the Sunset Ltd's regular lateness.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past few years they have added several miles of double track in the Benson area east of Tucson.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page