RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » UP and BNSF operations

Author Topic: UP and BNSF operations
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from a 2700 mile driving trip and had the opportunity to observe UP operations between Tucumcari, NM and Pratt, KS as well as from Ellis, KS to Kit Carson, CO (the old Kansas Pacific). Not that many trains on the old Golden State Route but they seemed to be moving expeditiously. A unit hopper car train westbound, two trains with new automobiles going west and a mixed train eastbound.

On the KP line I saw a unit coal train eastbound and a new auto train westbound plus an empty auto
train eastbound. An interesting observation on the KP; it is being slowly upgraded with welded rail and new 9000 +/- foot passing tracks located
in open areas between former small stations. These appear to be electronicaly operated tho I saw no power lines or communication lines to them

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I transmitted before finishing. To go on:

The switches appeared to have radio receiver antennas and perhaps batteries that were recharged by the sun which is in abundance here.
There were approach signals at both ends about 1/2 mile in advance also without power lines. Any of you who may know more about these signals on a "dark railroad" please pass on info.

The BNSF Transcon paralleling I-40 was a very busy RR today with train after train of double stacks and TOFC. AMTRAK # 4 was about on time at Grants and was weaving in and out of all the freights on this CTC territory with X-overs about eight miles apart. Also, the American Orient Express was on the Transcon today with a very long train. What a sight to behold as the dispatchers in Ft. Worth, each with 100 plus miles to handle, kept them moving, some double stacks and TOFC's at 70 MPH.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signal line if any was probably burined. I have also seen solar panels along the the former T&P between Shreveport and Alexandria LA

These may be CTC "islands" so that they do not have to stop to throw switches. These could also be simply switch indicators and the switches be spring switches. Get up close to the track at the switch point to see whether there is a power switch machine or a hand throw switch stand and that will answer that one.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page