RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Transcontinental Railroad Route

Author Topic: Transcontinental Railroad Route
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading Stephen E. Ambrose's book "Nothing Like it in the World" about the building of the transcontinental railroad. It's been an excellent book, and it's endorsed on the front cover by the famous Henry Kisor.

I am interested in comparing today's route against the original route. I know of some of the major changes such as the cutoff at Salt Lake. There have been hundreds of minor changes, such as tunneling when there used to be a cut, or bypassing ravines with fill. Do any of you know of maps available that show both the original route and the modern route?

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try Steam Powered Video's Railroad Atlas of North America. You would need both the California & Nevada and the Colorado & Utah books. The original route is shown where it differs from the present ones.
SPV has an e-mail: sales@spv.co.uk and their web site is www.spv.co.uk
Hope this helps,
John

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you John. Those Atlases look quite interesting.
Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page