RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » No Locomotive Horns in Flagstaff

Author Topic: No Locomotive Horns in Flagstaff
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the Flagstaff, Arizona train station yesterday. I saw several freight trains come through, and none of them blew their horns when approaching crossings. Normally, when I am in Flagstaff, I hear locomotive horns regularly throughout the day. Yesterday, I heard none. Someone at the station said there was a "noise ordinance" and the trains were not allowed to blow their horns. This sounds unsafe to me.
Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a whole list of requirements by the FRA before a "quiet zone" can be implemented. I still think it is a bad idea, but it is at least now consistent nationally. It does not prohibit use of horns in case of emergency or perceived danger, although I have no idea what sort of burden of proof is required to say that blowing the horn was acceptable.

I still think quiet zones are a bad idea. I also think those that demand them do not have a leg to stand on, as in 99.99% of the cases the railroad was there long before they were born. If you are living near a track and the horns bother you, that is your fault, not the railroad's.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The U. of Northern Arizona is across the double track BNSF Transcon from downtown Flagstaff. This creates a great amount of bicycle and pedestrian interface with the many trains (sometimes more than 100 trains per day). I have witnessed many of the presumably college students making dangerous attempts to cross the tracks when warning lights and bells are active.

I expect there will be some tragic accident, maybe more than one, and the City will rethink this action.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page