RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Kinda dumb question, how much bigger is UP then BNSF??

Author Topic: Kinda dumb question, how much bigger is UP then BNSF??
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally i like BNSF the best and i know that UP and BNSF are both big companies but how much bigger is UP and do you think BNSF will ever get bigger someday? I just wonder.
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the AAR (this is 1997 data, so it may be a little off), BNSF has the following statistics:

Miles of road owned: 35,208
Gross ton miles: 411 billion
Employees: 43,731

Compare to UP:

Miles of road owned: 36,670
Gross ton miles: 442 billion
Employees: 53,647

I have more current figures somewhere; I think UP has gotten rid of a bunch of people and BNSF has closed the tonmile gap somewhat. The two railroads are actually quite close in size, as are NS and CSXT.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both same: 4' 8-1/2"
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And BNSF is 2 characters longer than UP.
Seriously, I don't know if BNSF will expand unless they pick up Kansas City Southern or some other regional lines. Most of the acquiring has been done. If anything, the majors will spin off more lines. If UP aggressively sells off more lines (ex-C&NW in the farm states) it could shrink below BNSF's size.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kruzn40
Member # 688

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kruzn40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DrunkEngineer!! Is that supposed to be cute?
Posts: 3 | From: San Bernardino, CA USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly do you mean? Its just a name, its just a joke im not serious or anything about a DrunkEngineer. Do you have a problem with my name or something?
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete
Member # 591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also in the works but currently on hold for the last year per FRA or STB, can't remember whcih, is the proposed merger of BNSF with CNR. Vehemently opposed by the other roads . Should all proceed anyways it could be likely that the UP and CPR also merge thereby ensuring two competitors each offering seamless one-road coast to coast service plus Mexico to Canda. Something no US road has ever been able to do and a great fear of legislators on both sides of the border should only one road be allowed to offer/monopolize the situation. Hang on to your hats.
Posts: 13 | From: calgary | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the new administration would be more favorable to a mega-merger. Then again, it depends on what the energy firms think...would they be supportive or opposed to a merger. My guess is the energy companies are captive shippers and would oppose the merger (even though the senior mgmt of the rails is mostly Republican).
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightRail
Member # 633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightRail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would somebody put Drunk and Engineer together even as a joke. If he doesn't have a problem with your name, I do. My problem I guess since you obviously see no harm in the name. Do you joke about bombs at the airport?
Posts: 13 | From: La Mesa, CA. USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDRumley
Member # 625

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDRumley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously this individual is not only unfamiliar with Rule G, but has no respect for the responsibility required by train service personel.
Posts: 12 | From: Salem | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, i guess your right, i know its just a name but i think its not really a good idea, a Friend of mine actually had the idea for this. Admins should be able to change my name. Il email or post to the admin for a name change. I am a Railfan and Model railroader just like many of you. And no i dont joke about bombs at airports.
LightRail
Member # 633

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for LightRail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for taking the criticism in the spirit it was meant. That takes some huevos. Any substance abuse in train service is unacceptable and illegal. You did good!
Posts: 13 | From: La Mesa, CA. USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnychooch
Member # 187

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for johnnychooch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Lightrail,
Did you ever get anywhere with your query on the subject of the glass balls you found while wayside in the CA desert? Drop me a line.
John

------------------

Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightRail
Member # 633

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for LightRail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You breaking mine or what? I got a couple of answers elsewhere in the Western Forum. Looks like they are used in making other glass products or possibly insulation. Guess I'll have to wait trackside until one falls off a train and then I can chase it to the consignee. Inquiring minds need to know.
Pete
Member # 591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can vouch that those glass balls, or marbles are used in the manufacture of Fiberglas insulation, at least they were 25 years ago when I worked and itched there.
Posts: 13 | From: calgary | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page