RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Runaway Train

Author Topic: Runaway Train
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did the runaway CSX engine keep running?

I thought that modern engines had lights that lit up at certain intervals, then the engineer had to hit a button. Otherwise, the engine would automatically stop. I have read about this safety measure, and it is intended to stop this exact type of
thing. What do you think? Is it not required on all engines?

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SD40-2
Member # 767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SD40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Runaway Engine was a SD40-2, most of those were built in the 70's, means they are not modern engine and they dont have any of the fancy computers like the modern engines today like the C44's. When i saw it on TV i was alittle supprised to see only one SD40-2 to be pulling all those 47 cars.
Posts: 20 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. I would have thought that with safety issues, the railroads would have to retro-fit the older locomotives to fit newer standards.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Ruben
Member # 656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Ruben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following link should also help in addition to the above posts:
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73063159370578&Avis=TO&Dato=20010517&Kategori=NEWS11&Lopenr=105170025&Ref=AR

[This message has been edited by Ken Ruben (edited 05-26-2001).]

Posts: 16 | From: Culver City, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page