RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » Tank Car Trains

Author Topic: Tank Car Trains
Conducter1
Member # 4364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conducter1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone must know where the tank trains threw Iowa are going and were they stated.Any info out there?? Also some said they saw a beercan tank, is there any still around?? [Cool]
Posts: 10 | From: Ames, Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethanol???
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conducter1
Member # 4364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conducter1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats what I was thinking also, not real sure, I figered someone out there would know for certain. I'm sure I'll find out some day.. Thanks for the comeback.. Have a nice day.

--------------------
Conducter1

Posts: 10 | From: Ames, Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can read the markings on the tanks, it may well tell you what's in there - especially if it's hazardous goods. And then you may be able to find the likely sources/destinations for such goods.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having seen plenty of Ethanol trains in SoCal on the BNSF, the cars aren't marked as carrying ethanol. Probably something in the small print on the car. A good clue though that it's an ethanol train is the buffer car(s) between the locos & the tank cars. The buffers can be boxes or hoppers that are filled w/ sand. If there are DPUs there will be one on that end too.
Conductor1 which RR is hauling the ethanols you're seeing & are they going east or west? Keep an eye out because ethanol production & consumption will be increasing rapidly in the future.

--------------------
Andy Jackson
Downey CA

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page