RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » section crew information

Author Topic: section crew information
Greg V
Member # 790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To anyone who can help -- My father spent 54 years on C&NW, many other relatives on DM&IR. I spent many summers in chicago area (Proviso Yards) working section in the summer. My 8 year old volunteered to interview me for a school project regarding my summer jobs on the railroad, and I'll be darned if I can remember the specifics he wants to know. My father is deceased, wonder if anyone can help with a few questions.1) what is the typical length of rail segment 2). How much does that segment weigh 3). BEFORE mechanical units were used, about how much (length) of rail would typically be laid in a day 4). Currently, with automated units, about how much (length) would be laid in a day 5). is rail made of steel or iron. thanks for any help- --best wishes to all of you. Greg.
Posts: 2 | From: Long Lake, Minnesota USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quentin
Member # 791

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quentin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg V:
To anyone who can help -- My father spent 54 years on C&NW, many other relatives on DM&IR. I spent many summers in chicago area (Proviso Yards) working section in the summer. My 8 year old volunteered to interview me for a school project regarding my summer jobs on the railroad, and I'll be darned if I can remember the specifics he wants to know. My father is deceased, wonder if anyone can help with a few questions.1) what is the typical length of rail segment 2). How much does that segment weigh 3). BEFORE mechanical units were used, about how much (length) of rail would typically be laid in a day 4). Currently, with automated units, about how much (length) would be laid in a day 5). is rail made of steel or iron. thanks for any help- --best wishes to all of you. Greg.

A typical rail segment is 39 feet long. This length is due to the fact it fits well in the 40' gondola cars used to haul them. Rails come in different sizes, typical mainline use today is 136 lbs per yard. Rail is made with steel alloys, with special hardening techniques for longer usable life. I am unsure of the amount of track which has been or can be put down per day, but in the 1800's some amazing amounts were placed during the race to the west.

Posts: 1 | From: Ewing, Mo, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg V
Member # 790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS A MILLION -- YOU SAVED THE DAY.Greg..
Posts: 2 | From: Long Lake, Minnesota USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add a bit to the foregoing:

1) Bolted rail (39 foot segments) is almost never laid anymore. Virtually all new rail is welded into 1,500 foot segments which are moved to the location on a special train of flat cars. A rail gang can lay as much as several miles per day.

2) The all-time record for track construction was by Charlie Crocker's Chinese on the Central Pacific. To win a bet, he had them lay more than ten miles of track (rail and ties) on a graded right-of-way in one day.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rail is produced at steel mills today typically in 78 foot sticks. These are shipped to a welding facility of the rr or a contractor. It is there that they are assembled into longer strings and are loaded on cars for distribution to the field. There are only a few places in North America rolling rail today and they face competition from abroad, as some railroads have installed foreign produced rail.
Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page