RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » TRAIN SPOTING AROUND CHICAGO

Author Topic: TRAIN SPOTING AROUND CHICAGO
ALAN SCHULMAN
Member # 802

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ALAN SCHULMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WILL BE IN CHICAGO FOR THED AY ON JUNE7,2001. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE EASY TO GET TO AND GOOD SPOTS FOR TRAIN WATCHING AROUND CHICAGO? ANY SUGGESTIONS? IS THE SOUTH SHORE LINE WORTH RIDING TO HAMMOND AND BACK? IS THERE A GOOD STATION ON THE METRA BN LINE TO TRAVEL TO IN THE AFTERNOON TO WATCH THE WESTBOUND (AND INBOUND AS WELL)TRAINS TO/FROM THE COAST?
Posts: 2 | From: SARASOTA FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This EXCELLENT webpage should get you started on your Chicago Railfanning adventure. These are a few key URLs from that website:
http://hometown.aol.com/chirailfan/tipmetra.html

http://hometown.aol.com/chirailfan/index.html

http://hometown.aol.com/metrafan/mainmet.html

I have A LOT of fun reading this website and I know you will too!'
-- Daniel

[This message has been edited by daniel3197 (edited 05-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by daniel3197 (edited 05-13-2001).]

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John B. Bredin
Member # 109

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for John B. Bredin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"IS THERE A GOOD STATION ON THE METRA BN LINE TO TRAVEL TO IN THE AFTERNOON TO WATCH THE WESTBOUND (AND INBOUND AS WELL)TRAINS TO/FROM THE COAST?"

ANY station on the BNSF line, with the exception of the Aurora station because it's a stub served by Metra only, is an excellent place. You'll see a true parade of freights, the two Amtrak trains to California (the Cal Zephyr & Southwest Chief), one Illinois-only Amtrak train (Illinois Zephyr), and frequent Metra commuter trains. The line is pretty straight and flat, and most of the stations are in old town centers with a restaurant or coffee shop within a stone's throw of the station. Some popular locations are Naperville, Hinsdale (I often see cameras set up on tripods on the hill east of the station), Highlands (just about a half-mile east of Hinsdale), Western Springs, LaGrange Road, Hollywood (Brookfield Zoo stop), and Berwyn. Naperville is the ONLY suburban stop for the Amtrak long-distance trains, but the Illinois Zephyr also stops at LaGrange Road.

Posts: 22 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The South Shore is eminently worth riding, all the way to South Bend if you have the time. Another interesting trip is the Metra Rock Island District from La Salle St. Station to Joliet, where you can watch BNSF trains at the diamonds. UP's Proviso Yard (Metra to Elmhurst station) used to be a popular spot when I was in school in Chicago.
As noted above, any of the BNSF stations on the former CB&Q will give you good action. I always favored Riverside, just because it's a nice area.

You can't go wrong in Chicago. Have fun.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Pasteris
Member # 4

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Joe Pasteris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you happen to venture out about an hour and a half west of Chicago to Rochelle, Il is a good spot to see. BNSF and UP cross there, and a nice gift store with all kinds RR stuff. I have been to chicago on many occasions just to watch trains especially near the yards. I remember someone told me that in Dolton,IL is another hot spot. Personally I have not been there myself. Dolton is south of chicago on I-94 ( Bishop Ford Hwy). Have fun.
Posts: 24 | From: DeKalb, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Pasteris
Member # 4

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Joe Pasteris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you happen to venture out about an hour and a half west of Chicago to Rochelle, Il is a good spot to see. BNSF and UP cross there, and a nice gift store with all kinds RR stuff. I have been to chicago on many occasions just to watch trains especially near the yards. I remember someone told me that in Dolton,IL is another hot spot. Personally I have not been there myself. Dolton is south of chicago on I-94 ( Bishop Ford Hwy). Have fun.
Posts: 24 | From: DeKalb, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page