RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » Routing for West Chicago Milwaukee Challenger excursion

Author Topic: Routing for West Chicago Milwaukee Challenger excursion
Steve4031
Member # 1517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve4031     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am riding on this excursion on June, 15, and am curious to know if there are details about the routing of this train. Also, where is UP's Butler yard in Milwaukee.
Posts: 20 | From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Tome
Member # 1577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Tome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Butler Yard is located along Rt 45 heading north and you can get off at Hampton Ave and drive over it. If I remember correctly the servicing facilities can be seen from the Hampton bridge looking north. Butler Yard is in Butler, Wis which is about 12 miles north and west of Milwaukee.
Doug Tome

[This message has been edited by Doug Tome (edited 04-25-2002).]

Posts: 3 | From: Jamestown,Pa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Tome
Member # 1577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Tome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked with a friend who lives in Racine, Wis. He said that the train will probably take what is referred to as the "new line". CNW had two lines coming out of Ill., one was along the Lake Michigan shoreline and the other (new line)was about 8 miles west of it. Which makes sense as the Challenger would have a hard time running on the shoreline trackage. It was in bad shape when I left there two years ago.
The shore line is used mostly for hauling coal to the Wisconsin Edison power plants in Oak Creek and Pleasant Prarie, Wis.
Doug Tome

Posts: 3 | From: Jamestown,Pa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page