RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » Here are some questions I am trying to get answered

Author Topic: Here are some questions I am trying to get answered
RJMamula
Member # 1963

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJMamula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What is the difference between derailing and decoupling?
What is involved in decoupling a train?
Why are the stwitchmen so important?
What is a fireman (on a train)?
What was a train yard like?

Posts: 14 | From: Hammond, IN US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me see. . . . .
Decoupling is simply the process by which cars on a train are separated from the rest of the train. Derailing is far more serious, as derailing means that the train has left the tracks and is somewhere else other than where it should normally be. The fireman's position has been eliminated on diesel locomotives for many years now, and most freight trains in North America run with 2 person crews. the second person in the train crew is the one who frequently has to throw the switches, thus they are the switchman/conductor/etc. The switch man was important for the sole purpose that he is the one 'on the ground' throwing the switches, alinging the proper tracks, making sure the train goes to the correct track. Train yards are dangerous places & private property, and it would be best to keep out of them.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 10-01-2002).]

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andybuzz2u
Member # 2008

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Andybuzz2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The process of derailing a train is simple...but im not going to reveil it..second every american rail yard is a dangerous place...you can get hit, ran over, beaten, stabed, shot, or arrested for tresspassing or worse carried off in a corners van as all railroad employees carry firearms on them account of the areas we have to work and any strangers are not tollerated and will be reported i know that someone is watching my back because im watching there,s...
Posts: 8 | From: Texas, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this guy is exactly who and what he says he is. But the questions asked by "RJ Mamula" have become part of a discussion topic on the Amtrak board.

If you haven't seen it, you might want to take a look. You'll find it at:
http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000805.html

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page