RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » El Dorado State Park

Author Topic: El Dorado State Park
mr_sd40-2
Member # 2217

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mr_sd40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to mention El Dorado Park in Kansas is a good place to railfan. You can see many trains a day on the BNSF Emporia sub without leaving the park. If you get the right campsite at Boulder Bluff, you don't even have to leave your site. But if you want electricity, you will have to pitch a tent at Walnut River. If you go to the overpass just south of Boulder Bluff, this is a good photo shoot. An elevated persrective always yields good pictures. If you have questions about the area, let me know.

------------------
Bill

Posts: 7 | From: Houston TX USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill.
I've never been to that park but have passed it many times on the Kansas Turnpike. That long trestle over the water just beyond all those partially submerged trees always has been a fave spot for me to see a BNSF.

It's on the east side of the KTA. I used to drive from here in Texas up to Kansas about 10 times a year and always hoped I'd spot a train there -- and did many times.

It sure was refreshing after having to drive through Oklahoma.

- - Johnny

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_sd40-2
Member # 2217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr_sd40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can see trains on the trestle from the turnpike but they are far away (as far as I recall). Next time I go there, I will look for a good spot to see them on that trestle at a distance of about 500 feet or less.

------------------
Bill

Posts: 7 | From: Houston TX USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_sd40-2
Member # 2217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr_sd40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can see trains on the trestle from the turnpike but they are far away (as far as I recall). Next time I go there, I will look for a good spot to see them on that trestle at a distance of about 500 feet or less.

------------------
Bill

CP-home
Member # 1924

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CP-home     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in El Dorado for 9 months back in 77-78 and I remember that park, the Walnut River and that Trestle! I remeber seeing a Santa Fe train come through and at the time that was the fastest I had ever seen a train move. Unfortunately this was a few years before I became a railfan but trains were always fascinating!
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to know generally how far away from the KC area this place is?

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C,
it's a little over 100 miles south of Topeka.

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I think I'll try to find time to make that trip soon.

------------------

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
El Dorado is milepost 172.8 on the BNSF Emporia Subdivision. Milepost 0.0 is located one mile west of Kansas City's Union Station. This route follows I-35 very closely as everyone seems to know. I catch the Eastbound Z trains out of Argentine for the Marceline Sub and we always watch on BNSF computers for these trains to pass El Dorado. Outbound crews are ordered when the trains pass Lebo [mp 93.8]which is just east of Emporia. At 70 MPH it doesn't take long to get to Argentine Yard.

[This message has been edited by Santa Fe 5704 (edited 02-07-2003).]

Posts: 53 | From: Kansas City, Missouri USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
So, SF5704, you're familiar with my home stomping grounds? I grew up in Kirksville, about 14 miles north of La Plata, and could probably show you any and all top-notch, legally accessible railfanning locations between Elmer and Baring.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page