RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » UP 3985 in Texas

Author Topic: UP 3985 in Texas
shanson2
Member # 2995

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for shanson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP Challenger 3985 is working its way to Houston for the Super Bowl (see UP website). I plan to chase from Corsicana TX to Hearne TX next week. Does anyone have a recommendation for any crossings between those towns which are particularly photogenic or offer good views? Or crossings to skip?
Posts: 1 | From: Austin TX USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coronado
Member # 2395

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coronado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Sunday will be the day. Not sure of the route from Corsicana to Hearne, but I'm guessing that the route from Tyler to Corsicana will likely follow Texas 31. I haven't been that way in a while, but I seem to recollect the tracks follow the highway very closely and there are numerous areas of wide open spaces with no trees that would make for good viewing of the locomotive, especially between Malakoff and Corsicana. You might try starting your chase around Malakoff or Kerens. Good luck... I'll be out there, too.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is 9:45 AM on 2-3-04 and the train track in Conroe are loaded with people!
Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10:25...Train went by, tracks were loaded with people.

You could see the steam a mile or two up the track...

Great to see such a turn out! It was also pulling old pullman or coach type passenger cars.

[This message has been edited by yummykaz (edited 02-03-2004).]

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page