RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » What type of cars transport vermiculite and kaolin?

Author Topic: What type of cars transport vermiculite and kaolin?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I operate an N-scale model railroad. I have several 40' hopper cars that most people typically used to transport coal. I would like to transport something different. I have nothing against coal, it's just too popular in model railroading for me. I like to be unique. I am thinking about vermiculite or kaolin, but I don't know if these are typically transported in a hopper car, or if they have to be covered to keep from getting wet. I am searching for some type of mineral to transport that is rather light-weight, and rather inexpensive.

Thank you

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin, I don't have firsthand knowledge, but "kaolin" was associated with the St. Marys Railroad Co., a connecting short line of the Seaboard Coast Line (SAL) which ran 10 miles from Kingsland, GA, to St. Marys, GA. I know they had modern covered hopper and box cars, most I believe painted white. The newer Equipment Registers
would contain details. As far as I know this outfit is still in business.
Jim Bradley National Director Hawk Mountain Chapter, National Railway Historical Society.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etna
Member # 1221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A search of kaolin on the web says it's also known as china clay. I found this under a manufacturer's association website...

"Following the final treatment processes, kaolin-based products may be stored in tanks in slurry form or in silos and warehouses in dry form.

Most kaolin-based products shipped to paper customers are transported in slurried form. Others may use dry bulk. Kaolin is also packaged in one ton bags and 50 lb. and 25 kg. bags. "

Etna

[This message has been edited by Etna (edited 12-18-2001).]

Posts: 9 | From: Vernon, CT USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies. It is sounding as though Kaolin must be shipped in covered hopper cars instead of regular open ones where it is exposed to the elements.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page