RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Magazine Story

Author Topic: Magazine Story
Jay Kirk
Member # 1258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Railfans:

Greetings. I am a magazine writer in Philadelphia -- I've written
for the New York Times Magazine, Chicago Reader, Philadelphia Inquirer
Magazine -- who just happened to grow up with a rail-fan father. When I was
a kid, no family outing went without a stop at a rail yard, and our Sundays
were spent watching train slide shows. You are probably familiar with this
scenario. I would like to capture this scenario in a magazine feature.

I am planning to write a feature about rail-fans. I would like to, in a
nutshell, tag along with the most hardcore trainspotters, and tell their
story. I am looking for rail-fans (especially in Pennsylvania, but also
New Jersey, or New York) who have great stories, who have spent enough time
on the tracks to have had strange and powerful encounters, who can discuss
the lore of the secret spot, the rail camps, the peril of the hunt, and the meaning behind it all.
I would especially like to talk to rail-fans who have had experiences that
have, for better or worse, changed their lives.

If you know how I might go about meeting some people who might fit this
description, including yourself, I would love to hear back from you.
Perhaps you might also suggest a listserv where I could also post this
invitation?

Yours Truly,
Jay Kirk

Posts: 1 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CV
Member # 1114

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a wonderful idea Jay. I think the best stories could be heard from railfans that have seen the golden age of railroading and the changes that have happened since. Being only 26 myself, I've seen but a small part of what railroading means. One of the best places to get a lot of good material would be at any known railfan spot. The only way to write about railfaning is by experience.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest you consult nrhs.com for the NRHS chapters in your area, then attend some of their meetings to meet some fans. You might be able to hookup with someone to go out trackside. But these days it might be best to clear your safari with the railroad first, so they know who's there taking pix of their equipment ! It's standard practice these days for rail managements to ask all their employees to report 'suspicious' or unusual personnel on or near their properties.
Jim Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter National Ry. Historical Society

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay,
Did you get your article published? If so, do you have a link where we can read it?
Thanks.

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page