RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » New England - NYC links

Author Topic: New England - NYC links
Sean
Member # 1276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm eager to know if, in the mid 1960's, New York-bound trains from White River Junction, VT,came into Pennsylvania Station or Grand Central Station in NYC.
Posts: 3 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil Abar
Member # 990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Abar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the mid 60's there were 2 trains left. The day train connected with the New Haven at Springfield, MA and went to Grand Central. Th other was a through train to Washington and ran via Hell Gate to Penn Station. I can't remember the train numbers but at that time I was a B&M employee

------------------
SignalGil

Posts: 13 | From: Redding, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 1276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, thanks very much for the info! Do you recall the stops above Springfield? Any in Massachusetts -- Northampton or Greenfield?
Posts: 3 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CV
Member # 1114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't around at the time but it's a safe bet that there was at least a stop in Northampton. The Ex-BM employee would know about this for sure.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 1276

Rate Member
Thanks, CV. Gil, any recollections?
Sean

CV
Member # 1114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few excellent books out there which document the passenger trains that served New England in that era. The best one that I own is one of a series called "Connecticut River Railroads and Connections." This is packed with photos and actual schedules of the trains.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil Abar
Member # 990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Abar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the delay. Station stops above Springfield in MA were Holyoke, Northampton, possibly S. Deerfield, Greenfield & E. Northfield. Then Brattleboro, VT, possibly Putney, VT, Bellows Falls, VT, Charlestown, NH, Claremont Jct, NH, Windsor, VT and White River Jct, VT.
Posts: 13 | From: Redding, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a B&M timetable from Oct. 25, 1964. It shows two trains going farther north than Northampton, Mass. No. 21, the overnight train between Washington and Montreal, which I believe was called the Montrealer, stopped at Sprginfield and Greenfield, Mass.; Brattleboro, Bellows Falls, White River Jct., Montpelier Jct., Essex Jct., and St. Albans, Vt.; and Montreal. In the other direction, No. 20, called, I think, the Washingtonian, made the same stops.

The day train, Nos. 75 and 76, made the following additional stops: Holyoke, Northampton, and East Northfield, Mass.; Putney, Vt.; Claremont Jct., NH.; and Windsor, Vt. Above White River Jct. it made the same stops at Nos. 20 and 21. The timetable also shows a train connecting with 75 and 76 at White River Jct.: Nos. 31 and 32, stopping at Norwich, Thetford, Parlee, Bradford, Wells River, St. Johnsbury, and Newport, Vt., and Sherbrokke and Farnham, Que.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PennsyMan58@cfl.rr.com
Member # 1349

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PennsyMan58@cfl.rr.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
I'm eager to know if, in the mid 1960's, New York-bound trains from White River Junction, VT,came into Pennsylvania Station or Grand Central Station in NYC.

Posts: 4 | From: St. Cloud Fl. USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PennsyMan58@cfl.rr.com
Member # 1349

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PennsyMan58@cfl.rr.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PennsyMan58@cfl.rr.com:

Posts: 4 | From: St. Cloud Fl. USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page