RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Russel Car Company

Author Topic: Russel Car Company
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any information on the Russell car company? Websites? Are they still in business? They made a snow plow I'm doing research on...thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 02-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 02-11-2002).]

Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only thin I can tell you is that Russell Snow Plow Company had a small plant along the PRR in Ridgway, PA (Elk County) between Emporium and Erie, PA. I used to see the new plows sitting out in front (remember one for Canadian National). An old barn red building with RUSSELL SNOW PLOW COMPANY in white letters on its side. Doubt they're still in business - try the Ridgway Record newspaper for date of their demise. Their plows went all over North America.
Jim Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter
National Railway Historical Society

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetOldBob
Member # 1595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetOldBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I moved to Brockway late in 1962. At that time the Russell factory had a rather deserted look to it. Over the next ten years or so it just sat there, looking deserted.

Someone bought it or rented it and set up "Ridgway Steel Fabricators". They tore down some of the wooden sheds, took out the tracks leading into the main building.

Maybe ten years later, the "Ridgway Steel Fabricators sign was gone. Sometime in the past ten years or so, the building was bulldozed and there's nothing there now but an empty field.

You might try getting in touch with the Elk County Historical Society (sorry, I don't know their address). I have seen some Russell material at their museum in Ridgway.

As to when they stopped making snow plows, I really don't know. The Thomas Register still listed Russell as a manufacturer of RR snowplows into the mid-1960's, but I don't think they were actually doing anything by that time.

------------------

Posts: 1 | From: Brockway, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOFWCABOOSE
Member # 1699

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOFWCABOOSE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two pictures I took of the Russell factory at Ridgeway in 8-66, which shows that the place was pretty well deserted by that time. Also have for sale 100s of photos of Russell plows & flangers.
Posts: 1 | From: Bonita Springs, FL, 34135 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BIG6
Member # 1838

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BIG6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean the russell ky car shops

nevermind i got ahead of myself

[This message has been edited by BIG6 (edited 08-03-2002).]

Posts: 3 | From: Ona,WV,USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try www.onlinetrains.com

That's a company that makes models of the Russell Snow Plows. While they are only model makers they may have had access to plans and been able to track some info down at some point, which may now be usefull to you.

Consider also doing a search for people with that last name in the immediate area of where the factory/company was located and then try some calls. I once tracked down relatives of person who had received a letter in 1914 in Muscatine Iowa that way. It's a long shot but sometimes people enjoy telling stories about their long gone relatives. Good luck.

Also, try typing russell snow plows inot your search engine and look through the results.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firkinguy
Member # 1434

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for firkinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking my Firkin Railroad Magazine Index, I found the following two articles on snow plows. I don't have those particular issues at hand, but as I recall, one of them talked a bit about the Russell company and who bought them. (CRM = Canadian Railway Modeller)

Firkinguy

Kitbash a CP Snow Plow; Chris Stacey; CRM Feb/Mar 97 pg 20

Modelling a CN Snow Plow; Bob Boudreau; CRM Feb/Mar 93 pg 14 (correction Aug/Sep 93 pg 40)

Posts: 2 | From: Mississippi Mills, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page