RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Big Freight - thing of the past ?

Author Topic: Big Freight - thing of the past ?
BigBlue11
Member # 1478

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BigBlue11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the biggest, longest freight trains you have watched ?

Somwhere in the 1980's: A ConRail eastbound on the Bergen Line with four B23-7s and 124 cars.

Posts: 9 | From: Northern NJ, USA (current) | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grain, merchandise, and mixed freights seem to be very long through my area on the BNSF.
Some of the longest have had about 10-12 units on the point, and somewhere between 80-110 cars. A grain train I saw had three Dash-9's up front, about 40 cars, three more units, another 40 or so cars, and then two units at the end.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevepel3372
Member # 1484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevepel3372     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey BigBlue,

This is Steve P. I think we should tell Joe, Norb, Tom and all the rest to come over here since the Railroad.net is still down.

TTYl,
steve

Posts: 2 | From: Denville, NJ 07834 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest freight trains I've seen is the Union Pacific Big Boy and Challenger locomotives pulling over 150 cars through the mountain states. You hear and feel em coming up the line...more like a small earthquake...
Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC/DC
Member # 1640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AC/DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are big freights a thing of the past? No way! It is a common sight on CSX to see 145 car, 19,000 ton frieghts with nothing more than 2 GE AC4400s on the point with no helpers.
Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ferroequus
Member # 1787

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ferroequus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode Q452 back from Miami, we had 3 engines and 120 cars. Nearing Lakeland, our two GE's quit on us...but the SD60 kept right on chugging along. We never slowed to below 10 MPH, just goes to show who makes the better locomotives (and who always did for that matter), go EMD!

------------------

Harvey Henkelman-Certified Ferroequinologist

Posts: 2 | From: Tampa, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big trains are still very much around. Out here on BNSF's "transcon," intermodals regularly exceed 7,000ft in length. If you're talking tonnage, I've also seen some very long stack trains that have 120+ wells and use helpers right out of Los Angeles.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page