RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » 20th Century/Lake Shore Limited

Author Topic: 20th Century/Lake Shore Limited
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a picture in a book of a train taken in 1941. The caption said it was New York Central's Lake Shore Limited.

Could this be correct? I did not know that New York Central operated the Lake Shore Limited. I thought that was a name Amtrak came up with. Did New York Central's Lake Shore Limited use the same route as the 20th Century Limited? I will guess that it was not as luxurious and not as fast as the 20th Century.

Thank you

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve4031
Member # 1517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve4031     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the exact details, but the NYC ran dozens of passenger trains between the east coast and midwest at this time. The lakeshore was more than likely a less glamorous option to the Century.
Posts: 20 | From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a 1924 Big Four timetable:

* No. 19 - "LAKE SHORE LIMITED" -- Daily

* Sleeping Car - Boston to Cincinnati (12-Sec DR)(from B&A No 15 and NYC No. 11)
* Parlor Car - Cleveland to Cincinnati (DR) Two
* Dining Car - Cleveland to Cincinnati
* Coaches - Cleveland to Cincinnati

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the '50s, though, the New York Central was using the Lake Shore Limited name for, as Steve4031 guessed, one of the other trains on the New York/Boston-Chicago route, providing both coach and sleeper service and making more stops along the way than the Century.
Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a kid during the late 50s through mid-60s, my family took the New York Central from New York to Cleveland each summer.

I recall riding on both the Lake Shore Limited and the Cleveland Limited. They stopped at the same cities as today's Lake Shore Limited: New York, Albany, Schenectady, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Erie, and Cleveland (where they went after that is a mystery -- I never went beyond Cleveland). Unfortunately, most of the grand old train stations along the route are now either gone or abandoned.

We also stopped at Poughkeepsie, NY and East Cleveland, OH -- stops that Amtrak's LSL doesn't make.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of the replies. That satifies my curiousity.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page