RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » new c40-9s

Author Topic: new c40-9s
linwood
Member # 463

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for linwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw a new ns c40-9 9569 in black already
but i saw a c40-9 9548 and it was in primer how come the newer locomotive was painted 1st

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cdr.Dick
Member # 408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cdr.Dick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares? They are the worst locomotives ever built.
Posts: 6 | From: Folcroft,Pa. UnitedStates | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linwood
Member # 463

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for linwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i been told ther one of the best road locomotives for long trips maybe not so good for swithing thay maybe plane but i like them
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cnotp
Member # 342

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cnotp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally speaking, I'd like to see more SD70Ms on NS.

Objectively speaking, GE's product is a proven product. If not, they would not have sold thousands of Dash 8s or Dash 9s (and arguably the AC4400CWs) to every Class 1 in North America. Other than personal opinion, I don't understand why some people call them "junk."

They are painting the engines as they rotate into Juniata or Chattanooga. It simply doesn't happen in sequential road number order.

They are good road engines. Many engineers and conductors have expressed this personally to me. However, they do agree that GEs (not just Dash 9s) do not load as quickly as EMDs and are thus considered sluggish during switching operations.

As far as I am concerned, it is logical to purchase what you know works for you in large volumes as it makes repairs and replacement parts a much more efficient proposition. So to those who just whine about it---waaaahhhhh.

On the other hand, I am concerned that with so many GEs and so few EMDs being purchased, it presents the distinct possibility that EMD could get out of the business. On this end, I think UP intentionally ordered the 1,000 SD70Ms instead of a GE product in order to keep EMD in the business as a viable competitor to GE.

Well, enough rambling from me!

------------------
Jeff
Norfolk Southern CNO&TP Home Page

Posts: 34 | From: Erlanger, KY, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page