RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Radio Controlled Locomotives

Author Topic: Radio Controlled Locomotives
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading the Florida East Coast Railroad annual report. It said that they have begun to use using radio controlled locomotives in the yards. There is a picture that looks like an engineer standing near a locomotive with a controller, similar to those used by model airplane pilots.

Do any of you know anything about this?

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSXFANDAN
Member # 1844

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for CSXFANDAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that is pretty much what they are. csx is useing them in trials in the Baltimore area. This is the way switching is going to go. (saves$$$$)

------------------

Posts: 25 | From: Glen Burnie Md 21061 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you CSXFANDAN. It took a while, but somebody finally answered this. It is an interesting concept. I hope it works out. The issue of safety concerns me a little, but they probably know what they are doing.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rutledge
Member # 1850

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rutledge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all class I railroads are implementing the remotes as we type....in my territory (illinois Division/NS) they have already had two run away train accidents but like the guy said above "they probably know what they're doing"LOL
Posts: 1 | From: deatur, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
radio controlled locomotives are being used in the baltimore area with limited success,the idea was to help reduce injuries by taking a man off the switching job( one would think you might want to keep the engineer)injuries would be reduced. the problems are one, radio signals get garbled around all the bridges and buildings, and not enough qualified people to operate the units. the main reason the railroad claims the units work so well is by diverting as much uneccessary freight to other yards so as to leave the radio crew with minimum work.

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page