RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Made In The USA

Author Topic: Made In The USA
mitusa
Member # 1886

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for mitusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you aware that Lionel closed its plants in the US to have their trains made in communist China. As a working American this concerns me deeply and I was wondering how many people out there are as concerned as I am. I feel if they don't want to use Americans to build their trains, then Americans should not buy them. I feel it is time for all Americans to say NO, we are not going to put up with their greed. Contact Lionel and tell them what you think. I feel it is time to bring it home, make the US the manufacturing leader again, put our people back to work and not be the leader in imports.
Posts: 6 | From: Stevens, Pa. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcdoniel
Member # 1300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcdoniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it you don't own a television. No TVs have been made un the UAS for many years
Posts: 10 | From: Garden Grove CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the letters in the world won't help when Lionel can pay Chinese workers 13 cants an hour without benefits.

That's what really irks me. Americans lose jobs and foreigners get slave wages in return. No one benefits except corporate brass.

[This message has been edited by gct29 (edited 08-24-2002).]

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wowee, wowee, politics!!!!

Certainly we can cite exceptions to the principle that being a "socially responsible" consumer and informing the target has any effect. Nevertheless - divestiture helped bring down apartheid, non-union lettuce and grape strikes benefitted farmworkers, the Vietnam War protests saved lives (mine, for example). So I think that acting and informing are useful toold for changing the system.

It is easy to point out inconsistencies - I haven't had a TV in my home in 15 years, or eaten a Nestle candy bar or product in close to 35 years (look up Nestle Boycott), nor purchased products made of wood from the rainforests, etc etc etc. But I eat meat and I drive a car which uses fossil fuels. I'm imperfect. That does not negate efforts I make to change the systems I think need changing. I don't buy Lionel (three rails? Please..) but I CAN certainly go to the train store i frequent and encourage them to fill that space with other lines and tell Lionel the reason.

Blows against the empire... Or should that be (plese excuse the pun): railing against the empire.

mitusa, mcdoniel and gct29: I hope to see y'all on the picket line at Lionel.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Slotkin:

Thank you for your words of reason in what could easily become a contentious topic. Though we all seem to be on the same page here (albeit perhaps on different paragraphs of that page), I particularly agree with your point about inconsistencies, and will go on to say that it's a pity that one has to be absoloutist to be considered an advocate for anything.

But back to topic: what in the world could we write on our picket sings without looking ridiculous?

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitusa
Member # 1886

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for mitusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I do! A Sony TV in fact. You don't seem to get the point. The TV wasn't made by Communist slaves. Do you think the word slave is a little strong? Well they get on an average of 65 cents an hour. No benefits and they live in rooms at the factory where they work. Is it right to have people line their pockets by using these people?
Posts: 6 | From: Stevens, Pa. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitusa
Member # 1886

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for mitusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What to write on picket signs? How about Human Rights For All, Jobs For Americans, Greed Destroys just for a start.
I am glad to see there are others aware of the problems facing the working people here and on the other side of the world.

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we could say stuff like:
Hey Lionel - go take an American Flyer off a short line (I can't resist a pun, group)

or: Does Kathy Lee Work for Lionel?

But lest a sense of humor not be prsent among the righteous, I'd settle for Greed Kills, Get On Track with Human Rights, etc etc.

mitusa: I do think words like "slave" and "master" and other labels serve to incite rather than describe behavior and unacceptable circumstances/facts of their lives. Information rather than labels gives people an opportunity to investigate and decide rather than be per(dis)suaded by rhetoric. I am not saying I agree with the methods of Lionel or multinational coporations. I hope that that is clear from the above post and others wherein I address capitalism and various other hierarchies which I find problematic.

I am curious what modelers think about this issue... We all pick our battles.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting posts. Living in PA it's been obvious we've lost most of our industrial base. I'm old enough to remember the 1950s 'wage-price spiral' when the unions were riding high; each of their 'victories' was followed by more inflation. Then the US went out in front of some of the rest of world with unemployment comp, workmen's comp, OSHA, ADA, and paying for the world's best health system; we priced ourselves out of the labor market. Too, many Americans aren't willing to do factory work any more; we produce financial, educational, and medical services; these require much higher education still lacking in foreign lands, esp. Asia. And don't forget the transport advantage of containerization - no longer is imported cargo smashed up in ship's holds or stolen by longshoremen. It wonders me that exporting jobs took our businesses so long!
Probably part of solution is to bring the rest of world up to our standards. I just hope our railroads remain strong, and not just on coal and imports !
Jim Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mitusa - Nothing wrong with buying US-made products...if you can find them and they are of suitable quality. But China is where it's at for light manufacturing...even look at the flag pins, badges, etc for patriotic types; those products are made in China.

I have no way of knowing if TVs or other products are made by prisoners, poor working folk, or whatever. I have to rely on other people who travel over there to investigate, and I believe many of those investigators already have a bias against the system.

A direct appeal to the Lionel owners might help, but I would not expect anything to change unless world events made the area too unstable to continue manufacturing over there. Lionel had its products made in Mexico for a few years (in the 70s or 80s) but the quality declined so Lionel pulled out of there.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csx_power
Member # 1929

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for csx_power   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think anyone really cares if lionel is made in the US or not. More people are into HO than the 2 ton locomotives of lionel.
Posts: 19 | From: tamaqua,pa,us | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitusa
Member # 1886

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mitusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you CSX for your response. But don't you see this is part of the problem! If it isn't affecting you now you don't care. Look at you HO, I am sure you will see your fellow Americans are not making them either. Don't wait until it does affect your job, it is time to be concerned for all.
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you do is be ready & flexible. Some forms of manufacturing work are not likely to come back to the USA due to our high cost structure, environmental regs related to emissions etc.

Look at all the container trains on the rails...carrying imports. Look at how the US automakers have lost market share to foreign makes. Sure the US-made 3/4-ton pickups and semis may be best from a quality standpoint, but what about coupes or sedans? Car dealers have adapted by selling imports now. Even cars assembled in the US with a US-based brand names (i.e. Ford, Dodge) have some quantity of foreign components.

The US has become a 'service' economy, and even some of that gets exported (Dell Computer customer service is in India)

You are facing a tough battle

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSXFANDAN
Member # 1844

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for CSXFANDAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the companys want to build overseas useing cheap labor that is good business. I,just want lower prices to reflect same. Yes I am an America.
Posts: 25 | From: Glen Burnie Md 21061 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Slavery was good business, which is why it lasted thousands of years. The point is that Lionel is engaging in a practice that hurts the people that make its product. Bad for Americans and everyone else.
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know for a fact that slaves are working for Lionel then I think a direct appeal to Lionel would be best.

If the products are built in China, but you don't know by who, I would hold back until you know for sure. Just because China's government is communist does not mean all of the people are (any more than all US residents are politically lined up with our government).

I agree slavery is wrong, but not all 'cheap labor' is slavery.

ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mit, are you really a railfan, model railroader or just here to stir up trouble?

Unfortunately there is no such thing as made in USA any more. The same can probably be said about made in Japan. Parts are made all over the world, today's electronic parts are made in Malaysia, Korea, and who else knows where. The parts may say they are made in one country, but in fact they may be made somewhere else. What are you going to do to stop this? Are you going to have the Government do this? Where is the Gov't going to get all the manpower and money to do this? I'll bet they will have to raise taxes, OH NO, we can't have that!

So let's get back to trains. If you boycott things not made in the USA, well you might as well do the following:

Boycott all things shipped on BNSF since some of their locomotives have been made by cheap labor in the environmental wasteland of Mexico.

Boycott GM because some of their products are also made in Mexico and Canada too. Let's not forget NAFTA!

Don't buy any Atlas locomotives, because they are made in China. The same applies to some other manufacturers like Proto 2k.

Go in your closet and through out about 3/4 of your clothes and shoes because they are probably made in some 3rd world country somewhere. More American jobs lost.

Quit driving your car, because it is most likely fueled with oil that came from the Arab states, some which privately may have supported terrorism.

Basically get real, your cause is noble but it is a little too late. Your effort now is comparable to trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. Unfortunately, it isn't going to have any effect. BTW are you willing to pay double or even triple the price for something made in the U.S. verses the same quality of product that was imported from overseas.

Go ahead and criticize me if you want, but until there is real election reform and politicians start working for us instead of the fat-cat corporate lobbyist, you are going to have products made in third world countries at a fraction of the cost it takes to make something here. Politicians only worry about their re-election campaigns and if some company puts big bucks into their campaign, which way do you think the vote will fall. Not for you!

------------------
AJ Y6b N&W and Conrail Fan http://communities.msn.com/TheGRRModelRR (my page)
http://www.nvrra.org (my club's page)

[This message has been edited by ajy6b (edited 09-17-2002).]

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitusa
Member # 1886

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mitusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ajy6b. Why would anyone criticize you! You are right! So now what?
mitusa
Member # 1886

Rate Member
Sorry ajy6b, I didn't answer your question. Yes I am a rail fan. My Mother worked in Lionel from 1941 till the old man sold it. So it really does bother me to see what corporate heads have done to our country and to our hobby. Would I pay more for made in the US? We wouldn't have to pay 2 or 3 times to have it made here if the corporate heads would be happy with a fair profit insted of the 2 to 3 thousands percent they are making now. So would I pay more to put our families back to work! Yes! Wouldn't you?
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mitusa-

While I now understand why you would pay more for a Made in the USA product, I believe most other people would not.
My guess is a Lionel car that retails for $35 (I have not checked recently so I could be "off" here) would cost closer to $100 if made in the USA. It is not just the labor costs, it is the environmental regs, sue-crazy employees etc (as stated in earlier posts by me and others)
Lionel was never likely to be a high profit margin product and I don't think it is now...but I think they would price themselves out of the market if they made everything here.
I would not lay the blame only on business managers. Local government officials can also have a negative impact on making things in the USA, as it sometimes is very difficult to get a light manufacturing plant up and running what with all the permits, etc.

ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mitusa,

When I buy something, I go for the most value for my hard earned money. As far as boycotts go, if the alternative product is just as good quality-wise then I may participate, but I won't pay more money or the same amount for something that is not as good. I think most people are like that.

I am sorry about your mother and I can understand your views. I grew up in the rust belt myself. I have seen people loose their jobs overseas and it is a shame. But you have to remember some of these jobs were driven overseas because these business owners wanted make more money by avoiding the cost of regulation, some over unionization of work laws, some because they got the politicians to pass tax laws that made it easier and cheaper to close a plant then to fix it up.

Part of it goes to economic viability. A lot of our industrial base was worn out in the years following WW2. Whereas Japan and Germany had brand new plants that were rebuilt with US funds and these plants were more efficient. When it came to modernize, our tax laws made it easier to close than rebuild. Furthermore, more recent tax laws drove companies to put their corporate headquarters overseas because of the tax benefits. Didn't Stanley Tools of Connecticut move their corporate headquarters to the Bahamas in order to get out of paying U.S. taxes?

So what do we do now? It's a good question. Passing laws that restrain trade end up hurting everyone in the end, and not everyone or every country plays along. You can vote with your wallet, but don't expect people to join you especially if there is a substantial price difference or if the item is unique. The only thing you can try to hope for is an even playing field. You can write congress and the state department and ask for a fair playing field. Maybe they will listen. If one country restrains trade then we should do likewise with that country. However, I doubt if boycotts will have an effect, especially on specialty items like model railroad locomotives.

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page