RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Southern "streamliner" to DC

Author Topic: Southern "streamliner" to DC
Gas Pumps
Member # 1630

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gas Pumps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have info on the name and route of the Southern streamliner (one of the first diesels) that I believe ran from Memphis to DC via Knoxville and Johnson City, TN somewhere in the early '40's. Someone told me they thought it was the Hummingbird. Any any info appreciated.
Posts: 8 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be the Tennesseean, one of the South's first streamliners. It had a "divided" (race-segregated) coach plus the usual dining, sleeping, observation cars. It was the butt of Donald Steffee's famous remark in RAILROAD Magazine's "Revitalizing Passenger Traffic" article in the late forties: "It takes as long to go from Washington to Memphis on the Southern as it does to go from Bangor, Maine, to Memphis on other roads". And you know, he was just about right ! Compare the SR train with Bangor-Boston on MEC-B&M, Boston-Effingham, Illinois on the Boston & Albany-New York Central via Cleveland, plus the Illinois Central to Memphis. The Tennessean's route was pretty circuitous, running south to Lynchburg, VA, then S.W. on the N&W to the SR again at Bristol, down to Chattanooga before turning northwest through a corner of Mississippi to Memphis. I don't know offhand how long it ran but it would have been a victim of (probably) Dennis Brosnan's campaign to kill passenger service, which was particularly effective in the Western South - Ky., Tenn., Alabama. .. Others can no doubt add more information and their recollections.
Jim Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page