RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » 2-10-10-2's

Author Topic: 2-10-10-2's
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read several stories that mention a type of articulated locomotive that one of the eastern coal haulers used in the 1920's (can't remember whether it was Norfolk and Western or Virginian) that had a wheel arrangement of 2-10-10-2. However, I cannot find any pictures of one. I was curious to see what one looked like and how they compared in size to the Big Boy (4-8-8-4) and Allegheny (2-6-6-6) types of the 1940's.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attached link will show you pic of the Virginian 2-10-10-2 http://www.toytrains1.com/mallet4.htm
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. That's the first picture I've ever seen of one. It's not quite as big as I thought - the driving wheel diameter is pretty small - doesn't look like it could do more than a liesurely speed. I think Big Boys and Alleghenies were larger - they had much bigger driving wheels.

What was the era for these locomotives - 1920's?

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page