RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Diesel on NEC

Author Topic: Diesel on NEC
C.B. Hall
Member # 2066

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.B. Hall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where/to what extent can/does NS use diesel on the NEC? About how much more powerful are those diesels than Amtrak's electric locomotives?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you may be comparing apples to oranges on the power the two use. electrics develop power and brake differently than the freight diesels. the most powerful ns has are the 18 former conrail sd80mac's at 5000hp. compared to the amtrak hhp electric engine, the hhp develops about 8500hp, but you couldn't pull 100 loads of coal with it. conversely, an acela train would only top out at 70mph with an sd80mac on the point. ns has trackage rights on the nec from wash, d.c. to northern nj, and as long as the diesels have the cab signal/speed control equipment, they can lead on the corridor. mostly, they use former conrail power, but more and more ns power is being set up for nec use.
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C.B. Hall
Member # 2066

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.B. Hall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. Re: your last comment, do you mean that NS is beginning to use electric power on the Corridor, or modifying its diesels, or what?

I also assume from your comments that the only place where diesels are taboo between D.C. and New York is the Hudson River tunnels.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think ns is looking for electric engines. the modifications i spoke of to their pre-conrail fleet consist of the addition of amtrak/conrail cab signal equipment and whats called lsl- locomotive speed limiting. basically, a computer that puts the train brakes on if the engineer fails to comply with either wayside/cab signals or he is speeding, based on a preset speed limit in the computer.
as far as i know, ns trackage rights on amtrak are from d.c. to northern new jersey, and i believe you are right, no diesels in the hudson tubes.

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NS uses only diesels on its freight trains. NS has exclusive freight rights from Philadelphia to Washington, except shared with CSXT from Washington to Bowie for moves of coal trains to the Pope's Creek generating station. CSXT has rights north of Philadelphia, and the jointly-owned Conrail Shared Assets provides local switching in the same area.

Conrail, when created in 1976, inherited the Pennsylvania Railroad electrification and a fleet of electric freight locos. THese operated until 1982, when Conrail decided that access fees it paid to Amtrak, combined with maintenance of the aging electrics, was too expensive. Freight on the NEC has been 100% diesel ever since.

There is no freight into Penn Station, NY. By city ordnance, only electrics can operate there. For trains from NYP to Albany and the west, Amtrak has a small fleet of P32DM (dual mode) units that leave Penn Station running on third rail, then start diesels when they're clear of the tunnel to the Empire Connection. NEC trains, of course, use overhead catenary.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prslman
Member # 2074

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Prslman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ Transit use to run what they called a "diesel express" from Newark to Trenton. I was train watching at Edison some years ago and saw it and it was in the timetable as such. I don't know of they still do or not.
Posts: 4 | From: Egg Harbor Township, NJ | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Viewliner
Member # 842

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Amtrak Viewliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging by the timetable it no longer exists.

Click here for the NJT NEC Timetable in pdf format

------------------
Amtrak Viewliner

[This message has been edited by Amtrak Viewliner (edited 11-13-2002).]

Posts: 16 | From: Livingston, NJ, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page