RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » flying yankee

Author Topic: flying yankee
Douglas
Member # 1830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The time is getting closer to when the Boston and Maine "Flying Yankee" will be dashing through New England as it once did in the 1930's through to the 1950's. See the latest news on the "yankee's" total restoration. It is really amazing what these fans have done to save this beautiful stainless steel streamliner...one of three "Zephyer" type shovel nose trains to be classed as the earliest of U.S. distillant powered streamline passenger trains. And if that is true, then what was the Union Pacific M-10000? That I am told was America's first true streamliner. Who can give me the true story?

Doug Vernon
San Diego, California

Posts: 21 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Streamlining History...

The Adams Windsplitter (B&O, 1900 or so) is the first train to use principles of streamlining to reduce drag (and thus increase speed and economy).

AKAIK, it was still a heavyweight consist, so streamlining didn't help much.

UP M-10000 (City of Salina) outshopped Pullman-Standard some days before the Pioneer Zephyr rolled out of Budd's doors.

SO: M-100000 has precedence when we consider lightweight streamliners.

BUT!!! UP did not like development of Winton Diesel at this point (pre-201A). So they opted for a distillate engine to run the generator, not a Diesel.

SO: Pioneer Zephyr has precedence as Diesel streamliner.

Clear as mud???

M-10000 did not survive 1942. William Jeffers was either chair of War Production or War Materials Board. "Little Zip" was UP's very Public contribution to the wartime need for aluminum.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Douglas
Member # 1830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

Thank you for your reply to my comments regarding the Flying Yankee. Sorry to have reversed the types of engines used on the "Yankee" and the 10000.

Could you direct me to possible photos of the 'Wind Splitter"? I am not at all familiar with that train. I am somewhat interested in the history of streamline design regarding trains and would very much look at the "Wind Splitter" design.

Thanks very much.

Doug Vernon
San Diego, California

Posts: 21 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page