RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Spring Cleaning

Author Topic: Spring Cleaning
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching the Jacksonville-Tampa line the past few days has been like looking at a layout. That is, like new model units right out of the box.

Most all of the engines were spiffy clean as were many of the cars. Bright and shiny for the most part. Even the foreign engines in the consists. On Friday a train headed by 4 (!) UP engines looked newly painted but someone forgot to put on the dullcoat.

Earlier in the week a unit train of souble stacked containers came by, the first of those I've seen on this line. Did I read somewhere that they were not found east of New Orleans because of tunnel heights? Has anyone seen them in Florida before or is this new for CSX?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while i'm not familiar with that area, those stacks you see...are they regular road containers or trash boxes. csx hauls lots of trash, some of the containers are marked epic, coltainer, uswx. they are shorter in height and length than regular shipping containers and can fit in some of the lower tunnels doublestacked.
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, these were regular shjipping containers. I cannot remember the names, but they were like APL, Maersk, etc.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm, i'm not sure what they do down there. those garbage containers were the only thing i could think of in a clearance restricted area.
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page