RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » railfanning in pittsburgh

Author Topic: railfanning in pittsburgh
jmc80mac7
Member # 2433

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmc80mac7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am going to railfan in the pittsburgh area at the end of June. I am looking for sites to railfan in the pittsburgh area. Can anyone give us details and what they fell would be the best area for us to railfan. We will be taking one day and railfan back towards altoona. However, i do want to get some shots near a working steel mill (I understand their security) and i want to get near any abandoned sites. Can anyone gibe us some insite and suggestions.

Thanks

Posts: 5 | From: north haven, ct | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been railfanning in Pittsburgh only once, en route from a conference in Beaver Falls. But I found the Station Square area to be great. There was an inclined railway behind the station, the light rail line coming out of a tunnel and crossing the river on a bridge, and a moderately busy freight line going past the station. I believe there was a small museum at the station too, with a steam locomotive on display. This was seven years ago, but I would bet it's still a good spot.
Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page