RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » steel mills and railroads

Author Topic: steel mills and railroads
jmc80mac7
Member # 2433

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmc80mac7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be in the Pittsburgh area the week of June 23rd. Can i get some information on working steel mills in the area, like homstead or any thing to the south of Pittsburgh. I want to get as many shots of mills near the tracks as possilbe. Also are there any abondoned milled that i could get pictures of?
Posts: 5 | From: north haven, ct | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyclone399
Member # 2569

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for cyclone399     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for starters, there is no more Homestead Works. It is totally gone and there is a really upscale shopping district called The Waterfront there in its place. The only thing left standing are 6 smoke stacks and a gantry crane. There are still a few mills still operating. The Clairton Coke works is on Route 837 in Clairton. You'll catch some NS action and heavy Union RR coke trains that make the climb to Dravosburg about every 3-4 hours. You can hear those MP-1500s scream usually around the 45 minute mark. This is very impressive to watch. You can walk faster than these 5-6 MP's.

The Edgar Thompson works is still fully operational and you can get some great views from along the roadside on Route 837 in West Mifflin near Kennywood Park. There you can see NS, CSX, AmTrack & Union, along with ET's own fleet.

There are 3 abondoned sights on 837 also. Between Clairton and West Mifflin is what's left of the USS Duquesne Works and the Dorothy 6 furnace, across the river are some buildings from the National Tube Works in McKeesport, and just past Kennywood across the river from Homestead are 2 large gantry cranes and a battery of furnaces.

Actually for train spotting The Waterfront area is great. There is a spot on Amity Street (one of the entrances to The Waterfront) at the old PRR Station that you can see both NS and CSX. They pass within about 30-40 yards of each other and you'll get coal drags and a lot of intermodal action on both.

I hope this helps and have a great time in Pittsburgh. Go to Primante Brothers for a sandwich...you wont be disappointed!!!!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyclone399
Member # 2569

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for cyclone399     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check out www.riversofsteel.com it is the Homestead Works and Mon Valley Steel Museum. They have some fantastic history and a 'sites and attractions' section.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page