RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » railfanning in and around Baltimore

Author Topic: railfanning in and around Baltimore
hifidigital
Member # 2577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hifidigital     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to find a good spot to watch Amtrak trains. I've been to the MARC station at Martin St. Airport, which is nice, but was looking for someplace where the Amtrak trains don't blow by at 90mph.
Posts: 6 | From: baltimore, md | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but isn't 90 mph+ the whole point of the NEC? I've ridden through Baltimore several times, but the closest trackside location I went for watching trains was Arbutus to the south, and they fly through there also.

Seriously, though, you might try areas closer to the tunnels if not Penn Station itself. But judging by the amount of trash & debris, and the look of some of the neighborhoods, it is probably not too safe to hang out in those areas.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take mr. palmer's advice seriously! from bayview north, amtrak flies, and from west baltimore south, they fly as well. in between, other than penn station, and i do not kid you here, you'll take your life in your hands! a place that i used to go, that isn't quite as bad as the others, is the parking lot at capitol carbonic co., at the corner of frederick rd. and caton ave. in baltimore. their property backs right up to the tracks, and it is not in the worst of the bad zone. let me know if you need directions. you can get good shots of northbound trains, but southbounds may not be the easiest to get.
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two places I've been train-watching in the Baltimore area are the light rail platform in Penn Station, where you get a good view of arriving and departing trains, and BWI, where most if not all Amtrak trains stop. A few months ago I was there with a son and daughter watching trains for a couple of hours; all three of us took pictures, and nobody bothered us.

Also, you may want to take advantage of the MTA Maryland one-day rail pass. The price has just gone up, but I'm sure it's still under $5.

Another bargain is that MARC multiple-ride tickets are honored on VRE (I'm a VRE commuter and I sometimes use my VRE ticket to ride MARC). Under the cross-honoring agreement, it's a free transfer.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hifidigital
Member # 2577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hifidigital     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

I went by BWI this evening and say one Amtrak heading up to NY. I'll have to stop down that way whenever I do some plane spotting at BWI.

Posts: 6 | From: baltimore, md | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree BWI seems like a reasonable safe area. Most trains including Acelas stop there, but some of the long distance ones (Crescent? Florida trains?) blast through on the center track.

Check out the current Railpace magazine...they have an article about Baltimore with a topo map.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afternoonhiawatha
Member # 2566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for afternoonhiawatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Baltimore, BWI was my favorite train watching location just because of the frequency and variety of action. I also liked watching trains enter and emerge from the tunnels just outside of Penn Station. Unfortunately, I found that was not the safest location for train watching (I used to watch from inside my car which I had parked on a nearby public street).
Posts: 13 | From: Dubuque,IA,USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just thought of a few good places to try, and they are reasonably easy to get to and safe(R) than downtown baltimore. first is the old prr train station at perryville, md. the amtrak trains and some marc trains have a 60mph limit over the susquehanna river bridge, and you have a good view both directions. also, it is at the east end of the former conrail port road, which has freight trains after 8pm and before 6am. another spot, further south, is the marc station at martin state airport. the trains go by there at full gallop, but you have good views. i can provide directions to either place if you need them!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hifidigital
Member # 2577

Rate Member
Martin State Airport is probably my favorite so far. Since its been so hot recently, it looks like they've slowed down the metroliner and acela trains.

I went to a park up in Joppatowne (Mariner Point) which has a view of a bridge over the gunpowder river, but was chase away by swarms of flies!

hifidigital
Member # 2577

Rate Member
Another spot that I've found and looks promising, not to mention close is under the Rossville Blvd. overpass of the Amtrak lines. Its got plenty of room to park, its covered and has a good place to sit, eat a sandwich, drink a coke and watch some trains.
Amtraker1028
Member # 4529

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtraker1028     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is this topic still alive ? i have some good spots for you in baltimore if this topic is still being read ??
Posts: 2 | From: nyc | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page