RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » HELP

Author Topic: HELP
jessica d everett
Member # 2696

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jessica d everett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELP! Can anyone direct me to any good spots in NJ or PA to take photos of trains? Preferrably Carbon,Monroe counties in PA-or-Hunterdon and Warren counties in NJ. These spots don't necessarily have to be right in these counties, just near by. Approximate addresses and schedules would be very helpful too!

******Or any useful websites where I can find this info?*******

[This message has been edited by jessica d everett (edited 08-15-2003).]

Posts: 1 | From: kunkletown,pa, usa | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DMVW862
Member # 2703

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DMVW862     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was driving over the road truck I purchased the topographic maps by De Lamour Atlas and Gazetters. The new ones are red and blue on the cover and cost about 20.00. They show just about every rail line and most all the roads, back roads included. That is about the best advice I can give you so far because I don't know a lot about NJ. This map should get you started in finding the rail lines any way. The map generally only covers one state in a book.

Ed

Posts: 2 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice (it is spelled De Lorme). I use these maps all the time.

Note that the roads or highway numbers are not always up to date, so you should probably use an official state highway map or something similar to get around some unfamiliar areas.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessica: I live in Allentown, PA, and quite frankly there isn't a great deal doing in those counties any more. The big operation (just about the only) in Monroe Co. was the Delaware Lackawanna & Western from Delaware Water Gap thru Stroudsburg, across Poconos into Tobyhanna, Moscow, and Scranton. This is still operated by "Delaware-Lackawanna", a short line; suggest you go to railroad.net and click under "Forums", "Railroad Specific-Short Lines and Industrials" then under "Delaware-Lackawanna" where there IS current information on days of operation, etc. For Carbon County go to the same site and there's a message board for "Reading & Northern" which operates over the Carbon County Ry. (county owns that) from Hauto to Jim Thorpe and on up the old Lehigh Valley line to Wilkes-Barre and north. Under "Railrod Specific-Fallen Flags" there are boards for DL&W, Lehigh Valley R.R., and Central of New Jersey which operated through Carbon Co. into Wilkes-Barre. Another good site is email"anthraciterr@groups.yahoo.com" which covers all roads in the area. You can access that board through yahoo.com, too. I suggest you post your message on these boards and you should get some good answers.
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessica: CORRECTION - the correct E-MAIL is to: "anthraciterr@yahoogroups.com" = my memory can't even last 5 minutes ! Sorry. (The SITES may be accessed through "groups.yahoo.com")
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page