RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » CSX Riverline

Author Topic: CSX Riverline
peeceedj
Member # 2810

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for peeceedj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is now a new middle third track on this former West Shore line,can anyone update me as to when it was laid,also has the traffic increased?
Posts: 3 | From: N.Y. N.Y. USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpsk
Member # 2912

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cpsk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 3rd track was installed a couple of years ago. It runs from CP10 to CP7 where it rejoins the main.
The original passing track (controlled siding) runs from CP10 past CP7 (does not interlock at CP7) and becomes what I believe is called Track 2 of the 2 track line down to and south of CP5.

There is a new set of crossovers at US 46 overpass. One set directly underneath the overpass switches from track 1 sb to track 2, while another set about 0.1mi south switches from track 2 to 1 sb.

There is also a new switch which connects the riverline sb to NYS&W. This switch is at MP6.0 exactly.

All of the crossovers and the NYSW switch are controlled by the CP5 interlocking.
The SB signal gantry for CP5 is at the US46 bridge, and the NB gantry is south of Bergen Turnpike where it has always been.

I was down there on Thanksgiving day. There were two NYSW diesels idling at the water tower (1804 and 2012). I did not catch any activity on CSX while I was there. Seemed to be a quiet day.

Still plenty of activity on the Riverline. But there are of course huge gaps during the day.

I'm looking for detailed maps for area from CP5 south to Newark. Using MapQuest Aerial maps for now, but not good detail.

As you probably know, the Riverline no longer goes through the tunnel from NB into Weehawken. NJT light-rail uses that tunnel now.
Riverline follows what I believe was originally the EL into Croxton, then south to Marion jct where SB trains can go west into OI (Newark) yard using the new track and switches installed several years ago (probably more like 10 years now!).
Remember when they used to have to do a reverse move at Marion because there was no SB to WB access?

I got a glimpse of that construction from a NJT train out of Hoboken I was on. That was a while ago...

CPSK

Posts: 1 | From: Westwood, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked topozone for maps?
www.topozone.com

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page