RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » What rail line ran through Wycomb, PA in late 50's and early 60's?

Author Topic: What rail line ran through Wycomb, PA in late 50's and early 60's?
Crank_It_Up
Member # 2857

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crank_It_Up     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a child, I lived in Wycomb, PA (Bucks County...about 7 miles from Doylestown... and around 37 miles from Philadelphia) and loved to watch the train as it rambled through the sleepy old town on my way home from school. I'm trying to identify what locomotive mfg. and type it was, and also what RR line was operating there.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Crank_It_Up (edited 10-31-2003).]

Posts: 3 | From: Houston, TX USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The line was originally the READING. Don't know when it was sold or split up but in the mid-1970's this short line was operated by the NEW HOPE AND IVYLAND with offices in New Hope.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at this site. It is maintained by the Pennsylvania Rails to Trails people.
According to this the New Hope & Ivyland is still active, but I don't know how often they update their info.
MP http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/rails/bucks.html

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank_It_Up
Member # 2857

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crank_It_Up     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info guys.... what type of loco would have been running on the Reading during 1959 to 1965? ... as I remember it was some sort of road-switcher.. all black with the cab in the back... or maybe they were just running it backwards most of the time

edit... ok, went to RailPictures.Net and looked at some pics.... I think it must have been an Alco RS-1

Posts: 3 | From: Houston, TX USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank_It_Up
Member # 2857

Rate Member
ok... couldn't have been an AlCO RS-1 since none were sold to the Reading.... upon further review, looks like it must have been a Baldwin AS16...

thx for the help guys, your info was a big help

ReadingT-1
Member # 3011

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ReadingT-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALCO RS-3'S
EMD GP-7'S
BLW AS-16'S

Posts: 2 | From: Chesapeake, va usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schuylkill Valley
Member # 3021

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schuylkill Valley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The railroad that goes through Wycome is the New Hope and Ivyland Railroad , Charted as the New Hope valley railroad in 1873 . It was taken over by the P&R RY in 1994 .

Today it runs frieght and passenger with # 40 a Baldwin -2-8-0 built in 1927 .

Hope that helps,
Len.

Posts: 3 | From: East Coventry Township,Chester County,Pa. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schuylkill Valley
Member # 3021

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schuylkill Valley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry the date is wrong that should be 1894 .
Len.

Posts: 3 | From: East Coventry Township,Chester County,Pa. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page