RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Steel snow plows

Author Topic: Steel snow plows
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do railroads still use the Russell style (steel) snowplows for today's snow removal? Does anyone make modern day type snowplows? How do the railroads deal with large amounts of snow? I'm in search of parts but not sure where to look for them. -Thanks

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 03-16-2004).]

Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highhood
Member # 3135

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for highhood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe that at one time UP took a engine from a [727or some such typ plane] put it on a flat car and tried it for a snowblower. i do not know what the end result was.
Posts: 2 | From: albuequerque nm | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we use all kinds of stuff on csx. there are some old plows still in service, although i am not sure of the builders, some russell look-a-likes, wedge types, as well as jordan spreaders and flangers. the snow blowers are here and there, and they are loud and sound just like a jet. you don't want to be too close when they are working!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page