RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Train and my car

Author Topic: Train and my car
ziphem
Member # 2416

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ziphem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an ad on the roadside once for a train that transports you and your car (the alternative to driving, the ad said, or something like that...). So, now that I need something like that, I cant remember the name. Can someone help me out?
Thanks a lot!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's Amtrak's AutoTrain. Runs daily between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This train is an end-to-end run only; there are no intermediate stops.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ziphem
Member # 2416

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ziphem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thanks a lot. So that's the only one that offers that service - there's not another company?
Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Train is the only Amtrak train that carries personal vehicles. Besides that and freight trains, which carry new automobiles to dealers, I don't believe there are any other train/car combinations.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boy i sure wish they had auto train service from the chicago area to florida. i think they could make a buck.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want the Sunset Limited to add an autorack so I can take my car with me to mom's! hehe
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 70s there might have been a Chicago-to-Florida auto train, but I don't recall now. If there was, it likely suffered from weak demand.

There was a regular Amtrak train than ran from Chicago through Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama to Florida, but it was cut back in 1979. It had a slow running time and was plagued with more than its share of derailments.

The remaining Auto Train back east was initially run by a separate, private company, but negative finances and a couple of wrecks shut it down. I don't recall when Amtrak took it over; might have been the early 80's.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page