RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Richmond, VA Main Street Station?

Author Topic: Richmond, VA Main Street Station?
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richmond's downtown station reopened last year. Does anyone know what the area is like for wandering around on foot, looking at the old rail lines in the area?

I know the triple crossing is nearby, but couldn't really tell how safe (or dangerous) the neighborhood would be.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On March 27 the Virginia Assn. of Railway Patrons had its annual meeting in Richmond, beginning with a tour of Main Street Sta. (very nice).

On the whole, the area is OK and safe. With the highway bridge built within spitting distance of the station and overshadowing some of the local real estate, part of the neighborhood is ugly. It is becoming gentrified, though, with restaurants and markets opening in recent years, though there is a strip joint around the corner. The triple crossing and the beginning of the canal walk (a nice mile-and-a-quarter walk that leads to the Tredegar Iron Works and Civil War museum) are in sight from the front steps of the station, about a block away.

I would have no qualms about walking around in the daytime.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,
Thanks for the detailed response. I rode through the area on Amtrak on the way to/from Newport News last August.
The triple crossing was interesting, but I was also curious about the old SAL yard (per SPV atlas) just north of the station.
I agree the freeway pillars take away from the appeal but that's "progress".

Mike

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the old SAL yard is not being used right now but is being considered as a turnaround point for the Amtrak trains that terminate in Richmond.

One of the presentations at the VARP meeting was by Alan Tobias, and engineer with the Va. Dept. of Rail and Public Transportation, and he indicated that several locations are under consideration for turning the trains.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page