RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Small Businesses Ignored by NS?

Author Topic: Small Businesses Ignored by NS?
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of weekends ago I was exploring the rail lines in Virginia and stopped at Haber to take a picture. Haber is on the NS (ex-Southern) route of the Crescent south of Charlottesville.

One of the local business owners came out and expressed disgust at the railroad. He said the railroad had taken out the sidings at all the small towns along the route, including one in Haber.

Even though car load freight is disappearing (not enough profit margin for big rail), could they be doing more harm than good by eliminating the service? I can't always tell if rail is leaving the customers or customers are leaving rail, especially when a main line is involved.

The main line will no longer connect the small towns to the rest of the system; it will just be a noisy intruder.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sadly something that is happening all over. My small town that I've grown up in had its rail removed a few years ago. Another town in the area lost its rail some time ago, and as a result they have huge piles of grain, corn, soybeans and so on that are left sitting outside because it can't get shipped by truck nearly fast enough.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page