RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Need to find active yard around Boston

Author Topic: Need to find active yard around Boston
BeanTown
Member # 3625

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BeanTown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to bring my son to an active train yard tomorrow (Saturday). Our local suburban station doesn't really cut it. Any suggestions?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bballjohnnynick
Member # 3183

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bballjohnnynick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it's too late for you but the only real yard in Boston is Beacon Park. Not the easiest yard to sit and watch but you can get a good view on the Mass Pike.

John

Posts: 2 | From: Charlton, MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeanTown
Member # 3625

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeanTown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry. Didn't really check back until today. Thanks for the info (if you're still there). What's the best way to get to Beacon Park? Is there a Conrail or CSX office there?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeShoreLtd
Member # 3680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LakeShoreLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're still looking, this might help:

The Worcester intermodal yard can be seen from the Worcester MBTA/Amtrak station. They have trailer lifts and several tracks, so you should be able to see some action there. I'm not sure what hours the yard operates, but they should be open Saturday mornings if my memory serves me correctly.

The Boston rail ramp is located at the Allston/Brighton exit off the Masspike. I think this is exit 18, but I'm not sure. Anyways, you can see the yard from the highway as you take the left-hand exit. You should be able to see the action from the Doubletree hotel parking lot that overlooks the ramp. I've never tried doing this, but you might want to check it out.

Lastly, there is a third intermodal ramp and rail yard in Ayer, MA that I have never been to. Try looking for this on Mapquest.. I've heard that many railfans like this location.

I live in Brighton, and I'm telling you about this stuff off the top of my head.. I dont have a map in front of me, unfortunately. I can try and find more information on these if you're still interested.

If you're looking for better passenger train action, try any of the MBTA stations along Amtrak's NEC... some trains go through there at a decent clip.. very fun to watch.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page