RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Amtrak scanner frequencies

Author Topic: Amtrak scanner frequencies
aboz
Member # 599

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for aboz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I live in the Rochester area, and I entered in the frequency for antrak in this area (160.800), around the time where the trains would be arriving/departing and I didnot hear anything. Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try using 160.070
there are also some amtrak frequencies listed on trainweb

Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aboz
Member # 599

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aboz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dwheeler
Member # 647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dwheeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
160.800 - AAR Channel 46 - is the CSX Main Line Dispatcher frequency. It is the fequency all trains - CSX, AMTRAK, etc. - use to communicate with the dispatcher while on CSX tracks. Here in Syracuse, AMTRAK trains always announce their arrival at and departure from the station on that frequency. They may talk with the dispatcher on that frequency at other times.

160.070 is NOT an AAR channel. Inasmuch as it falls BETWEEN AAR channels 4 an 5, I doubt it is used by anyone.

161.070 is AAR Channel 64 and is used by CSX on some branches in the Buffalo area and on the three secondary tracks radiating north from Syracuse. It is also used by NS on some of it's ex-Conrail trackage, for example the Corning Secondary which runs from Lyons to Corning.

If there is a lot of traffic on the primary frequncy in an area, train crews talking to or amongst themselves may, by mutual agreement, switch to the alternate frequency provided they can still monitor the primary dispatcher frequency. The dispatcher never changes frequency: I doubt they even have the capability to do so.

I believe you will hear all you are going to hear from AMTRAK on 160.800. Remember in CTC territory, a train can make it's entire run without talking to the dispatcher on the radio!

Posts: 2 | From: Liverpool, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page