RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Hot box dector

Author Topic: Hot box dector
aboz
Member # 599

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for aboz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the Rochester NY area. Is there a frequency that I can use to pick up the defect (hot box) dectors?

Thanks again

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n4ykd
Member # 594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for n4ykd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
The defect detectors usually transmit on the Road Channel for the territory they are in. Let me know what RR(s) and Line(s) you are near and I'll look up what detectors are in your area.

Posts: 4 | From: Va. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aboz
Member # 599

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aboz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSX (Conrail) and Rochester & Southern RR.

Thanks again!
Alex

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dwheeler
Member # 647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dwheeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I previously commented on your question about listening to Amtrak on your scanner in Rochester. The frequency I gave you, 160.800 is the one you use to hear the DETECTORs. As noted by n4ykd, this is the primary road channel used for train communication with the dispatcher.

There are three detectors near Rochester. On the CSX Chicago Line, the main line that runs through downtown Rochester, there is one to the east near Brighton and one to the west near Coldwater. On the West Shore Branch, the bypass line which runs directly from Fairport to near West Chili, there is one near Pittsford. Unless they have been converted by CSX, they will announce “Conrail, Pittsford, New York. No defects. Total axle count 426. Train speed 49” on the road channel. The train will immediately announce “CSX Q-426, no defects” on the road channel. Obviously the announcements will be different if a defect is detected. When CSX modifies them, the detectors will announce CSX and milepost rather than Conrail and placename.

Detectors transmit using very low power. It is intended than they be heard by the crew in the locomotive but not everyone for miles. The Brighton and Coldwater detectors are only 14 miles apart and they cannot be allowed to interfere with each other. Therefore you won’t hear them from very far away unless you have some truly exceptional – read expensive – equipment.

I don’t believe any of the shortlines – Rochester Southern, Livonia Avon & Lakeville, Genessee & Wyoming, Falls Road, Ontario Midland and Ontario Central – have detectors.

Posts: 2 | From: Liverpool, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aboz
Member # 599

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for aboz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again thanks to everyone!
n4ykd
Member # 594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for n4ykd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Aboz,

For the Chicago line you have the Rochester AMTRAK station at milepost 371.0. There is a HBD-DED at milepost 364.1 called "Brighton" and another HBD-DED at milepost 386.5 called "Churchville". Like dwheeler said there is also one on the West Shore Branch. The West Shore Branch leaves the Chicago Line at milepost 359.2. On the West Shore Branch there is a HBD-DED at milepost 355.8 called "Pittsford".

Down here in Norhtern Virginia I'm around milepost 97 on the RF&P subdivision of CSX's Baltimore Division. I can hear detectors from milepost 84.6, 95.8, and 106.5.

Good luck

Posts: 4 | From: Va. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page