RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Nashville & Eastern rail link to Knoxville

Author Topic: Nashville & Eastern rail link to Knoxville
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have there been any recent developments in the proposed new rail line linking the Nashville & Eastern to Knoxville, Tennessee? Last I heard, there was a "feasability study" starting, but I have heard nothing since, and that's been a while.
Actually, the whole concept seems a too good to be true - proposing a new construction, while tracks still exist over all but about 25 miles (Monterey to Crab Orchard) of the route (and the right-of-way is largely intact there).
Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tennessee Central reborn!

And they were so successful too.

Wonder if NS would be willing to give them trackage rights to Knoxville from Rockwood?

Why?

Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beleive Nashville & Eastern wants to build the all-new Monterey-Wartburg line so they can connect with CSX to Knoxville. If the original Tennessee Central grade was rebuilt the connection would be with Norfolk Southern at Emory Gap (near Harriman), on the NS Cincinatti-Chattanooga main. Yes, trackage rights here might be harder to secure.

However, what little business that's to be had lies along the old rail line. The few media articles I've seen on this subject have all indicated tracks don't exist east of Monterey, conveniently forgetting the Harriman-Crab Orchard segment still in service (now operated by Franklin Minerals).

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
The article link below appeared in this mornings Knoxville News-Sentinel. A report on the proposed rail line was released yesterday, pegging the cost of restoring service at between $305 and $732 million. Three route options are discussed - two of them appear to largely restore the original Tennessee Central right-of-way (connection at Harriman).
http://www.knoxvillenews-sentinel.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_808266,00.html

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting, but is it realistic? These estimates always are optimistic. Would there be any loud objections from people who live along the right-of-way (and assumed the trains were gone forever)?

I followed some of this route from west of Knoxville to around Cookeville in '97. There were still several highway signs that showed T-junctions with rail crossings, even though the tracks were long gone.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page